Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My plan to "jumpstart" my career

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnam82

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2008
US
I didn't want to hijack the thread started by FutureAmerican so I decided to start another thread.

Basically I'm in the same boat as FA, graduated in 2006 with BSME. I have little to none practical/useful engineering experience I can put on my resume.

I went to a job fair today and also talked to a recruiter from National Guard. Once I told him I had bachelor's degree, he suggested that I consider a combat engineering job so I can blow stuff up, although he used a different s-lettered word. That sounds interesting and all but when I transition back to civilian life I don't know if there are related jobs, unless I work in a mine or something.

I'm also considered joining the army. Go through the OCS and possibly find a job within the government such as Army Corp of Engineers. Is it better to work at ACE as civilian or as an officer? I'd imagine co-workers and bosses look at you differently if you've served in the military. I also want that leadership experience.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although military experience is different from civilian experience, you learn valuable skill sets pretty fast. I started in the military 19 years ago with the same ideas, but ended up staying in for various reasons. Never really regretted it.

If you are looking for an opportunity for altruistic leadership, with a solid impact then go for it. As far as sitting down drafting out designs, etc-- you'll have people who work for you to do that.
dt

With your degree, chat to recruiters from ALL branches to see what they can "offer" (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard).

Have a good think about what you want to get out of it as well - the Marines are probably the most physical of the branches, as you will be a rifleman/platoon leader first, and something else second. On the other hand, the Air Force has some great technical opportunities, particularly in the Space sector.

Very few people I know who have served in the military have regretted it - particularly those who took full advantage of the opportunities available. If you decide to go active, remember that you could do a full 20 years and retire with an instant pension, a valuable thing with the economy being unstable.

Best of luck in any case!

Personally I think you need to evaluate what it is you really want out of life or your career. I can guarantee you one thing though, if I were to see your resume in say 10-20 years, any experience you had blowing things up would be of absolutely zero interest to me. We use totally different types of explosives, we tend to want mininmal collateral physical damage to the local infrasture and any experience you might gain in say bomb disposal would be irrelevant as well. Try to broadenm your thought processes.

A defense contractor might view your service favorably, but would still be needing the fundamental experience and education for whatever job you're applying for.

Seems to me that you're nearly completely unfocused as to what your long term goals are. You need to find out what makes you want to stay up working at, and what makes you hop out of bed in the morning to go tackle. Perhaps that's not ME, or perhaps it's a specific branch of ME. Without some understanding of what you want, how can you expect to ask for advice from strangers about your own future?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

i suggest applying with to multiple power generation companies, they have issues with an aging work force. I think someone will give you shot just because you are young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back