Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name for this part/mechanism? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextDaVinci

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2013
US
I am referring to the gear-like circular faces that interlock when forced together and allow rotation when unlocked on these arms. I want to design one, but I can't seem to find out what its called.

Cotytech_AM_2T_Car_Holder_for_iPad_Ball_Joint_Head_Dual_Arm_400.jpg

Any advice as to how to make these out of metal in a basic machine shop is also welcome.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We make Hirth couplings all the time in our prototype shop. A rotary indexer and the desired angle of vee cutter is all that's required. (and a milling machine, of course)

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Thank you, you guys are awesome.

In the future, are there any tips or resources for how I might go about figuring that out without asking the forum?

Cheers.

I assumed I didn't know what it was and simply used google for "toothed rotational joint" and was able to find reference to a hirth joint in the first page that came up. But didn't find it so easily with Bing.. take that microsoft.. Google > Bing now matter what your commercials say :)

They can put bing where the sun don't shine.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back