Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nano silicate to remove Se in FGD wastewater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davefitz

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
US
Is there any truth to the rumor that the additon of nano silcate to the FGD wastewater stream will precipitate selenate and selenite?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't speak to nano silicate as a Se removal mechanism, but there has been some Japanese work with the use of lanthanum, probably as the chloride, for this purpose.

Orenda

There are reports that nano-silicates will lower the water ORP to -550 mV to -860 mV, and oxidize and precipitate all selenate and selenite. I have also recieved reports that this is also achieved using nano-titania. I'm looking for a published paper or other written confirmation.

I have seen consistent removal results of >95% removal of Se with iron co-precipitation in FGD wastewater. This is operating full scale at ~500gpm blowdown from FGD using ferric chloride and polymer as coagulant.

luckobucko:

that sounds almost too good to be true- I thnk it depends on the particular form of Se that is present in the FGD purge.

Other means being studied, besides bioreactors, is a trickle filter ( packed bed) of AC activated carbon or , better yet, sawdust or powdered torrefied wood dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back