Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NCMA CMU Lintel Values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanf1027

Structural
Mar 25, 2009
US
I've been designing some cmu lintels and some configurations I need are not in Table 4 of TEK 17-1B. I created a spreadsheet to design my lintels and checked it against the Table 4 values. What is strange is some Mresisting values match and others are off by a significant amount, say 15,000lb-in. The equation is so simple, I don't believe I have an error.

Has anyone verified the table values? Or does anyone have a suggestion of why my values are significantly higher?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe the TEK values do not only check for flexural strength, but also limit the width of the cracks, or, even more likely, limit the deflection. The first will give you -when controlling design- a lower moment available for a standing amount of reinforcement, whereas the deflection control won't allow some loads permissible in strength (then some moments) be placed on the dintel due to poor deflection performance.

I was speaking about the moment values listed. I know the shear
can control, but I am simply trying to match the table moment values.

thanks

They might be using a triangular load assuming that arching action occurs. This is not a good assumption if there is a control joint beside the opening.

Forgive me guys, but Mresisting of a cmu lintel is what it is, regardless of how you assume the load is distributed from above.
Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back