Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NDE on nozzles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbday

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2009
GB
I am laying out a piece of 304 stainless steel equipment with a set through nozzle on an end cap.
My client wants 100% radiography but I am unsure if/how radiography would be done on a set through nozzle in an end cap - its a 4"NB nozzle in a 10"NB end cap, all standard weight thickness.
RT on butt welds is straightforward, but I am wondering if I should argue for penetrant dye examination on this weld instead ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without multiple shots, you're not going to get much info. Your client doesn't seem well informed regardin RT's capabilities in this regard. PT would be more normal in hs case.

You can do anything if the client pays for it.
Ultrasonic testing is an option
See ASME V
MANDATORY APPENDIX II INSERVICE EXAMINATION OF NOZZLE INSIDE CORNER RADIUS AND INNER CORNER REGIONS

Regards

IMO, UT is one typical NDE for the nozzle construction, instead of RT. The different techniques may be applied, such as PAUT or AUT, for the nozzle inspection as required for better accuracy, resolution, etc.

In conversations ive had with welding inspectors they've usually cautioned me against radiographic testing of fillet welds. Apparently its sensitive to false positives. Dye penetrant or MPI are options, but obviously they only show surface defects. If volumetric testing is a must the ultrasonic is pretty good. Yesterday i was on site and we were doing phased array ultrasound of a weld on a gas line and the guy was able to do the test, find a defect, we ground out the defect, rewelded, waited for some cooling while the NDT technician waited, retested the weld and passed it all in one session. Very convenient...

With radiographic, which you cant use here anyway, you usually have have to wait for the inspector to go back to there office to develop a film

The only way to do volumetric NDE on nozzle-to-shell or nozzle-to-end cap welds is with Phased Array UT (PAUT) or Shear Wave UT (SWUT). This is what should be specified in this case if client requires 100% RT on vessel. RT & UT are forms of volumetric NDE. PT (and MT) are surface NDE forms that cannot test for full pen/fusion.

As already mentioned, volumetric NDT UT will b feasible. however generally what we will do for branch connections is PT (either DPT or MPT)preferable first of the root weld and then of the final weld. PT of RF pad is so installed shall also be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back