Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NDS 2015, Table 12N-R, 12d Common & Box Nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSVBD

Structural
Jul 23, 2015
US
RE: NDS (National Design Specification for Wood Construction) 2015, Table 12N-R (as well as previous NDS Versions)

Why is there no listing for 12d common or box nails?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is what I was thinking. I believe the IRC (NC edition) requires 12d nails for fastening a deck band to the house band in addition to bolts.

wannabe... I did notice the same diameters. After a few attempts to get through to AWC (American Wood Council), first through phone, then through the protocol email for inquiries, the final answer was thus:

The tables are based on an assumed penetration of 10 fastener diameters. A 12d common has the same diameter as a 10d common so their tabulated values would be the same.

Further, through the correspondence(s) they provided the following link to AWC's online connection calculator: (for what it's worth)

I'll stick to the book...

I was checking my own nail calculator spreadsheet against the AWC connection calculator and noticed a minor discrepancy. After double checking all my calcs I determined that the AWC calculator is not taking into account the tapered tip assumptions. I then emailed their technical support and the promptly responded that their calculator is based on the 2005 NDS and does not take the tapered tip assumption into account.

This only appears to affect two of the yield modes, but I thought I might point this out.

A confused student is a good student.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back