Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NDT UT Level II and Level III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldog2002

Structural
Apr 6, 2011
US
Does any one know of a good resource for finding full time Level II and Level III NDT, UT. Our company would like to hire UT inspectors but cannot find any potential teamm members.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is one of those situations where a business case would be the best approach to decide if you should hire the NDT service or decide to develop in-house.

metengr, as always you are quick with a response, thank you. Due to our volume of product and the need to test 100% of every weld, we need a full time Level II and III UT inspectors

bulldog2002;
If you decide to do this activity in-house you would need the following;

1. A written practice which involves how your NDT will be performed, qualification, acceptance criteria, etc.

2. You will need to develop and implement a procedure for the specific NDT.

3. You will need to qualify NDT personnel using the written practice and your procedure(s).

4. One can hire the services of an NDT Level III to develop steps 1-3. However, for Level I and Level II examiners, they will need to be qualified under your program.

Now do you see what is involved? It is not just a matter of hiring a current Level II and having them work for you as an employee.

metengr,

Thank you for the list of activities that will need to be performed. We are fully aware of all of the above items that need to be performed, hence we are looking for a Level III to do all of the above then a Level II to work under him/her.

At our site we hired Mistras Group to do the UT while they concurrently trained some of our employees as Level I's. We have the same situation, 100% UT and MT on certain applications. I was able to sign off as a Level III. As they progress in their hours, they will become candidates for Level II and then be able to give disposition on their work. There are other NDT sources that also do good work on both the training and testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back