Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC 400.8 vs NEC 725

Status
Not open for further replies.

strebej

Industrial
Oct 15, 2002
US
Does a flexible cable carrying 30 VDC (Discrete Signal) Fall under NEC 400.8 or NEC 725? Is NEC 400.8 written for temporary and extension cords that carry 120 VAC and above? Is NEC 725 for power limited cables. I mounted a flexible cables to the wall. The cables are discrete 30 VDC that monitor limits switches. I was told that this is a code violation. Did I break code?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not read article 725 lately but it applies to power limited circuits. A 30 Vdc circuit is not likely to qualify, generally as it is too high for intrinsic safety for example. A long time ago any fuse had to be a size that was not replaceable with a fuse that could be higher current than permitted for the power limited circuit. Almost any fuse like a micro fuse can be obtained up to about 10 Amps, clearly cont compliant with power limited circuits the last time I reviewed article 725.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back