Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NEC Figure 310.60(C)(3) - Cable Installation Dimensions for Use with Table 310.60(C)(77) Thru (86)

Status
Not open for further replies.

milwaukeebob

Electrical
Jun 21, 2004
US
This is a continuation of a recent thread I started but I decided to post this question separately because I felt like it stood on its own

I am either missing something obvious or misinterrupting the Code in this regard. NEC Figure 310.60(C)(3) for detail 2 (3 electrical ducts) and detail 3 (6 electrical ducts) shows a centerline-to-centerline spacing of 7.5" between ducts. My experience from long days past suggests this is the minimum spacing between 4" PVC ducts. In the case of larger ducts such as 5", I recall seeing the spacing increase 0.5"-1". In the project I'm currently involved with, the underground ducts for the duct-bank arrangement in question are 6". This leads me to believe the engineered duct-bank must have an even larger spacing then what NEC shows. I understand this spacing and duct-bank arrangement/layout is subject to what the EoR dictates in their design but where does the 7.5" in the Code come from? Does the Code say anywhere what the assumption is for size of embedded conduit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I saw this 40 years ago... The minimum clearance between ducts is 3" in order to hold well the concreted ducts in place. So, if the minimum duct is 4" [the outside diameter is 4.5"] the distance centre line to centre line between ducts will be 7.5". For 6"[6.65" outside] will be 10".
However, the increased ampacity will be [for 1000 mcm copper] only 5-7%[417 A instead of 390]

Thanks 7anoter4. After your post, I now see that this minimum clearance between ducts is an industry standard thing. Just about every UG ductback specification I've seen online refers to this. Thanks for the clarification and opening my eyes. Now it all makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back