Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need a reliable AC to DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Aug 11, 2006
US
Good morning,
We need to purchase an AC to DC converter and need a recommended source for the following application. 200 HP compressor mild to moderate vibration. Clean environment, Secondary on main control Trans has been trended at 120 VAC +/- 5% we need to hold steady at 24 VDC. Load is under 200W, Ambient temp is 40 degree F to 100 degree F. Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated. Machine supplier has one but it is $770.00. Catalog's and web proves I can get it much cheaper. Unless I am over looking or not considering something. I replaced plenty but never sized one for myself so please be kind and learn me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Siemens' SITOP has proven very reliable in industrial applications. Good pricing, too. Which comes as a surprise - Siemens is supposed to be a "Price Leader".

You are now telling us that the device needs 24 V DC?

I remember asking you about that before and you then said AC?

If you use transformer with an 18 - 20 V AC secondary and a bridge rectifier plus electrolytic capacitors, you will get your 24 V. I do not think that your comm equipment is very sensitive to supply voltage. What happened before is probably that it did shut down because of overvoltage or thermal problems (due to high voltage). Also,200 W seems to be heavy overkill for a communication device.

You had better check both supply voltage specifications and power consumption before taking any more steps. Especially if it is a 100+ or 1000+ thing. You may even need to talk to a consulting engineer to get it all right.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Agree about the SITOP power supplies - I've used little else for a few years and they just quietly do their job, letting me worry about all the other things that won't do theirs!

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Sorry for the confusion, our I/O board has 24VAC going into a Molex terminal on the left side, which it is currently using. On the other side, you can feed it 24VDC from a power supply. I had asked the manufacture why they just did not install a power supply during construction. They replied it's an option they leave open for themselves pending the application or option required. They have instructed me to purchase one of their power supplies take out the doorbell transformer, install the power supply and move the wires from the AC side of the Module to the DC side.

Who makes the controller? 200W is a lot of juice for something like this unless it's one of those PLC systems that consist of modules for I/O, CPU, etc. that plug into a backplane.

Just read my original thread found an error I meant to state the load is under 20 watts not 200. One too many zeros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back