Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need advice on proper name for a flow reversing spool valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanBmech

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2016
US
Hello I am trying to identify if a certain type of hydraulic spool valve exists and what the proper name for it would be. So far on my internet searches I have not been able to find what I am looking for. I am looking for a 24V two position solenoid actuated spool valve block that has 3/4 " NPT or 1" NPT or equivalent machine thread ports. It needs to be acceptable for 3000 psi hydraulic service. It needs to have 4 ports. Port A = pressure supply, Port B =Tool fwd flow , Port C =Tool reverse flow, Port D = drain to hyd sump. With this spoolvalve unactuated flows A to B tool spins fwd tool discharges to port C which is connected to D = drains to sump. Then when spool valve solenoid is actuated Port A connected to C tool spins reverse, tool discharges to port B connected to D drain to sump.
Summary Unactuated A to B, C to D. Actuated A to C, B to D

I have tried flow reversing spool valve, cross flow valve, several other ideas with no luck. Any ideas if such valve is available. Thanks, Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike and Ted, Thank you both for the replies. Its amazing when you know the proper name for a valve how much more information is available. A 4 way, 2 position hydraulic directional valve is indeed what I am looking for. I see that Northern hydraulics has them with 1/2" NPT ports that are rated for 26 GPM. The excavator I plan on mounting this is rated 54 GPM and the hydraulic screw woodsplitter requires 44 GPM so I figure the valve should be rated 50 GPM min. So I am still searching for a reasonably priced valve hopefully available with a 24V solenoid which is the power voltage on the excavator. Thank you again for your help. I'll post when I find the appropriate valve. Thanks, Dan

Mike's advice is more of a "rule of thumb" approach. If you really want to get the sizing right, check the performance curve of the valve.

The valve data will tell you what pressure drop you get for your flow rate.

You will be well advised to check the pressure losses, then you won't be back here in a few weeks/months asking why you don't have enough power to run the system.

Understood. Most all of the larger valves I am finding are made to be mounted on a manifold block and ports sealed with face seal O-rings. I am trying to find a valve that will have 3/4" or 1" NPT threaded ports to allow it to be plumbed easily to the hydraulic lines on the machine. If I can find a valve with threaded ports I can then check the flow curve and capacity stats for the valve and make sure it is not limiting flow. Thanks, Dan

The flow rating of a valve is at some chosen pressure drop across the valve. Find out what that is. Then decide if your system can still function as you want it to with that pressure drop. Know that the pressure drop will increase with the square of the flow increase. You can always adapt straight thread o-ring ports to pipe, if you really want pipe connections.

Ted

Most spool valves that are commercially available and not too expensive will be manifold mounted. There are base plates available that will allow you to connect the pipes as required, then mount the valve on the plate.

Coils are available for most valves with 24 volt coils.

OK, thanks, I had reviewed some Rexroth and Parker valves that seemed like they would suit the application but they were flush mount type that needed a manifold block and then I was having trouble finding manifold blocks that were single valve and fit the valve mounting and porting. I was hoping to find a clearly described stand alone valve advertised on the internet that I could purchase. Similar valves of smaller capacity are advertised by Northern Hydraulics but not big enough. I will keep looking or get in touch with a hydraulics vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back