Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need Carrier Infinity 50XT blower performance data

Status
Not open for further replies.

zintern

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2009
US
I am looking for Carrier Infinity 50XT (5Ton) blower performance data, i.e. ESP (external static pressure) vs. CFM vs. Watts in any form.
Also looking for a solid reference stating that residential/commercial ducts should be designed at certain ESP, say 0.2" or 0.5 -- but what is the number.
Also looking for a solid reference stating that ESP above 1" shall not be "tolerated".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Call your friendly neighborhood Carrier Rep. for the data.

2. The ductwork should be designed as per SMACNA and ASHRAE rules for low pressure ductwork.

3. SMACNA classifications are: 1/2"+/-, 1"+/-, 2"+/-, 3"+/-, 4"+/-, 6"+/-, and 10"+/- (1985 Edition). Design your system accordingly.

Thank you trashcanman but:
(1) carrier stopped publishing this data and refuses to give it. There could be some data from comparable commercial unit or released in the past.
(2) Duct work must be matched to the blower performance data as per engineering practice and Manual D, and than per SMACNA. SMACNA does not match ESP with blower - they just rule the integrity not performance.

Thank you flyrfan.
I have seen this data. This table is very next to useless for the following reasons:
(1) it does not show how much power it takes to blow the air at any given ESP
(2) for COMFORT setting it shows nothing at all

All it shows is that the blower can deliver the same pre-set CFM regardless of ESP in the range 0.1 - 1.0.

But the problem is in that if one takes comparable ECM data from York - it shows that there is about 100% (i.e. 2x) more Watts used at 1.0 than at 0.2.

So what's the problem? A fan will consume more power at a higher total pressure. Research fan affinity laws if you're unclear on this subject.

You may have some difficulty trying to get the info that you are looking for. You can try this website / manufacturer to get reasonably close to the fan power consumption...they make small centrifugal fans for a lot of equipt manufacturers.

Good Luck

Thank you flyrfan.
The big picture is that Carrier intentionally gives no useful information about the variable speed fan performance. In particular, variable speed fans, are designed to work best at very low ESP, probably at 0.2". The general requirement of good efficient duct design is to design it to match the fan design, i.e. 0.2". Energy rating SEER/EER tests are done at 0.2", unless the fan was designed for more than that. Energy savings claims and promises are made based on those ratings, i.e. 0.2".
So what that Carrier's fan can pump 2,000CFM into both 0.2" and 1" ESP system and anything in between.
The question is at what cost?
Would like to buy a 40MPG car and find out that it only does 20 MPG because somebody put a restrictive tail pipe on it? Wouldn't you like to know what pipe to put on it to get the 40MPGs, would you?

Is this being used in a commercial application? If so, did they advise you to choose this unit, or was the selection your own?

What is unfortunate about these direct-driven units (unlike any of the belt-driven RTU offerings), is that there is no fan-curve available for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back