Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need enlightment on Technical Writing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzi95

Chemical
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hi,

I am interested to know if anyone has completed a course of study in technical writing related to chemical industry/pharmaceutical industry (have come across advetisements of courses being offered by some univs and insititutes)? If so how useful it is in getting a job? I have six yrs' experience in technical support & project mgt. with a chemical industry but am new to US of A. Will this help me in getting a job?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't speak to the courses, but I think they may be a waste. Good writing is good writing. If you can write well and know your field, you should be fine. If technical writing means learning how many technical terms and acronyms you can put on each page, you will turn away 90% of your readers. Start by writing your resume very well. That more than any diploma will tell your prospective employer about your writing skills. I still cannot believe the number of resumes I got for instructor/course development position that had misspellings, including the name of the company they were applying to. Needless to say, none of them even got an interview! If you are new to the US, I humbly suggest a good course in American English - its not exactly the Queen's English, but its what most respectable employers are comfortable with or expect of their applicants.

Good Luck - Blacksmith

Actually, the technical writing classes that are currently being taught are not about 'how many technical terms and acronyms you can put on each page' but more about style of writing. This is important when writing reports, and thus why the classes are being taught. I hope this helps. _____________________________________________________

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
-Steve Prefontaine

Mavenius,

I concur with your assessment of the need for learning the proper style of writing - its not being taught in the US primary school system anymore - but I think the title "technical writing" threw me off. Good writing is good writing, be it technical writing, news articles (many of which are deplorable) or fiction.

Blacksmith

Try a search on "Technical Report Writing" using Google.
You will find there on the Internet tons of examples on Technical Writing as well as Colleges and Universities offering these kind of courses. There are very formal requirements for technical writing and reports and speak something about writer and his/her style.
Good luck !
Michael

I recommend the book “ Technically Write!” by Ron Blicq. Prentice Hall ISBN # 0-163-898700-9. It covers all aspects of technical communication including formal and informal reports, correspondence other technical documents and briefly touches on technical speaking.

He was an instructor at Red River Community Collage in Winnipeg. He also had a private course in communication skills. The book may be hard to find but it’s worth the effort. ( currently has at least 12 copies starting at $4.99)

His main thrust is clear and concise communication. He suggests that you start every letter, report and paragraph with the six words “ I want to tell you that…” then finish the sentence and delete the first six words.
Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

well, it happens that "I are one" (tech writer, that is)
As an Engineer (apps, training, product development, etc) I often wound up being the guy who wrote things- manuals, FAQs, training materials. A few years ago, I was re-assigned to this as a primary job description.
There are pros and cons, just like anything.

Check out the Techwr-l list- it is a great resource, and also links to more great resources!

There are also various newsgroups and mailing lists around, many of which focus on a particular tool (Word, Frame, Ventura)

Jay
jmaechtlen@amada.com

I took a technical writing class and I wish more people considered it a positive. If you are not from the USA, then I would think it good advice to encourage your enrollment.

Good writing may be "good writing", but If you do not take a class, you may not be able to write at all.

Suzi95,

When I got my BS in Aerospace, I took a Writing Public Policy class as part of my minor. As a test engineer, I have to write test plans, installation instructions, cost estimates, and Reports of Test Results. What I have found in the Aerospace industry is that companies (generally) already have formats they want their engineers to use, so in reality, any writing class is useful in your background. If you are comfortable with writing (in American English perferably), you should already be set for writing skills.

My personal textbook reference is "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. I hope this helps!

Hi Suzi95,
I would like to share information with you and tell you about what I have found useful and roadblocks. In my case I have been with the same company and same job for a long time, yet the new people above me have problems to understand my reports and recommendations. I have taken some seminars on bussiness writing and some of the hints and good practice has helped. There are still things internal to our company and people that I need solve. We have some people who only want to read one page total. In contrast to that, my manager wants all the details. Our production people want "pictures" for instructions, much like the comics captions frame by frame. I have a plan to work out the drawbacks and to improve myself, but just now starting. I think I need more input. Others here might have suggestions. Let me know if you have found some greart ideas. Email toolman2@lakedalelink.com Happy Hoildays, John

Toolman,
When Gerald Ford was US President, he too wanted each national policy distilled to one page. Can you imagine how hard that must have been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back