Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Finding 1500 Ft. Depth, Low flow/pressure Seawater Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFS666

Mechanical
Feb 6, 2007
US
Greetings All,
I need to find a low flow rate/low pressure seawater pump that can be used at a depth of 1500ft (approx fluid pressure = 750 psi). The flow rate for the pump needs to be approx. 1.35 - 1.5 Liters/min at an output pressure of approx. 25 psi (the output pressure is estimated and will probably decrease). The motor ideally would run off of 24 VDC, but I can use 120 VAC with a buck converter. The motor would also ideally be connected to the pump via a magnetic coupling, so that the motor can be sealed against contact from the sea. Size is an issue, so would like it as small as practical (I know, the magnetic coupling will take up more space). Does anyone know of a vendor who makes such an animal? Thank! Gordon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi GFS666,
You have a very special and unusual application.
Standard centrifugal pump manufacturers may not have it.
The real problem is the depth pressure (700 psig) and missundertanding parameters.
I understand you need a pump that delivers 1.35 - 1.5 Liters/min at an output pressure of approx. 25 psi.
But 25 psig as output pressure in 750 psig zone? it sounds that you need more pressure. If so, it seems to be a positive displacement pump like a plunger pump.
In all cases you need an specialized help.
See here PD pump mfg. web:

Are you trying to spec a seawater circ pump, ie one where both suction and delivery are both at dive pressure?

Is the pump itself located within a pressure hull (so that the body has to withstand dive pressure in order to preserve the vessel's watertight integrity), or is the pump fully immersed (in which case you only have to worry about protecting the innards of the pump and motor)?

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back