Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Finding a Suitable VFD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfowler

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2003
US
I need a VFD for 15 hp motor on 3/60/230 service. It needs a closed PID control loop option which is used primarily for HVAC applications I think.

We have a test fixture with a 15hp motor connected to a fan that we want to control. The fan will pressurize a chamber to a certain point and hold that pressure. We will change that setpoint often. There is a pressure transducer in the chamber telling us what the pressure is and outputting a 4-20 mA signal. This signal we want to feed right back to the VFD in the closed control loop.

I have found one from DanFoss, but it seems a bit expensive at $2800. Anyone have any suggestions on a certain manufacturer or good supplier?

Davey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ABB makes a decent drive. The ACH 401 series is geared toward the HVAC market, and has pump and fan macros on board. I've had very good luck with them.

Check with the major OEM's: GE, Square D, ABB, etc...

here are some other sites:

(Saftronics are same for the most part as GE but relabeled.) Automation Direct lists theirs at a little under $1900, but I don't know if it meets your specs... We have used a number of GE and SqD drives, but have not separated out the price for smaller individual drives -- Price will be higher for single, small quantity users...

good hunting...

dfowler - I sold , started up, and serviced VFDs between 1989 and 2000, and I am just getting back into it. There are a lot of good VFDs out there. These days they should all have PI, if not PID control. I have worked with old Eaton/Cutler-Hammer VFDs and hated them, but I have seen and heard good things about their SV9000. They actually nameplate a Finnish VFD; the same as Honeywell. Realize that with the advanced technology they offer, programming them is a bit more complex. The SV9000 should come with free programming software making it easier, but if you don't know the purpose of the settings you may get confused. Last I knew C-H had good technical support (trust me, they needed it with the old crap). They should be able to walk you through your needs.

Good luck. Let me know if you need help when the time comes.

dfowler,
I agree with Allphase, ABB makes a very good drive.
We have several ACS500's on the the floor that have been
running with out failure for 5-6 years.
In the greater Detroit area, I buy them from GALCO INDUSTRIAL ELECTRONICS. I had some questions on a newer ACS 601 drive that our company just purchased and the
in house drive engineer came out to look at our application and helped with fine tuning ,free of charge.
No, I dont work for them for this company, but they did
offer great customer service for a product they sold
after the sale, and that should be acknowledged in this day and age.

Regards,
Afterhrs

I won't argue with those of you who say ABB makes a good drive. We installed 3 several years ago and they have run like champs. And they are installed in a room that has to be close to 100 continuously! However, they are one of the WORST to switch from MANUAL to AUTOMATIC control. DFowler, if you plan on being able to switch from MANUAL to AUTO, check with the vendor before you buy it to see how it is done. Also take note that you there are two signals, a run command and a speed command. Either, or both, can be in MANUAL or AUTO. For example, you may choose to turn it on AND control the speed "automatically," or you may choose to turn it on manually but control the speed automatically, or turn it on automatically but control the speed manually, or (finally) both turn it on AND control the speed manually. You need to know how to tell the VFD which signals to respond to.

It is not as complicated as it may sound, but many people don't consider this when designing the system.

One last thing. I don't know the type of fan you are using, but some require constant torgue VFDs while others can run on a variable torque. For the small dollar difference, get the constant torque.

Good luck.

Eurotherm and Control Techniques both make some fine products for the European market. Eurotherm were swallowed up by Invensys, I think. Not sure about either manufacturer's availability in the US.

CT's drives are relatively expensive, but we've found them very useful on awkward loads where other big name products have been less successful.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I found a Yaskawa VFD that is designed specifically for HVAC applications for around $1400. Anyone familiar with them?

We won't be running this thing all of the time either. The VFD will run a fan for approximately 30-40 minutes per day maximum. Each test will require the fan to run for no longer than several minutes at most.

Davey

I personally like ABB as others on this board. Setting up the PID is easy. One note though. ACS400 is being phased out by the ACS550, last date factory will accept order is March 31, 2004. Pricing is good on ABB if you press the distributor. They know they are in a cut throat market these days.

Just to add about SV-9000 and other drive manufacturers on the market - visit (OEM for SV-9000)and see who is who on the VFD market.

My choice is Yaskawa, reliable, well known and service friendly. Support is good too.
Their G3 series drive was the best drive ever made.

Current products F7, P7 - (HVAC specific) are very good and economical drives. AB is overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back