Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help in sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserk

Automotive
Jan 23, 2003
CA
Hello,

I need to create a couple of V-beads around the inside of a lens. I started with a 0.5mm length curve with a 5 degree draft, then from the end point, created another line 60 degrees from the first one. I copied these two lines to create the section with 7 v-beads. I am trying to sweep these around the inside but the sweep does not stay aligned to the inside surface.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

UGNX5.0.4.1 MP6 \ WinXP-SP3
Productive Design Services

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I think I am doing something wrong. I tried your suggestion. I created a curve somewhere in the middle using intersection curve and I tried to use it for vector direction. The sweep fails or it creates something nasty looking.

UGNX5.0.4.1 MP6 \ WinXP-SP3
Productive Design Services

The best way I can think of is to add a line to your section that is in the middle (30 degrees) and then use a varying vector direction and select each of these middle lines to be used as a varying directional vector. I have not tried it but I will and see how it works out. Ill get back to you shortly.

NXConsultants' advice keeps the section from twisting during the sweep. Under the vector direction option, just pick the Z axis and you should get a good result.

That will fix one of your problems, but I'm not sure it gives you all of what you need.

Ok, Try this.
Insert > Sweep > Sweep
Pick guide string in the order of your section curves, so whichever section is first, the guide string should start at this section drawing plane. You only need one guide string.
Your section drawings should al be exactly the same, use copy and paste for this to make it go quicker. You will pick the first section sketch and all the rest on the same spot (I picked at the end of a line). A vection will be shown for each section sketch, if all the vectors are not in the same direction, start over. I chose my lines so that the vector lines up with my vector direction for the sweep. Make sure you select the starting vector again at the end. If you dont it may not complete the sweep (360 degrees). On the next menu I used parameters and made sure preserve shape was selected. Lastly, I used vector direction and picked a vector perpendicular to the sweep (assuming a sweep in the XY plane). I used a constant scale of 1. Now you should have something like the picture I attached. Simply click subtract and you should be good to go.
Hope this helped,
Rick

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ccdc0ae3-8695-4af0-b528-c41e3ce82e79&file=v-groove_sweep.docx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back