Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Modifying A Trim Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittToolEngineer

Aerospace
Aug 4, 2016
US
Greetings:

I have a trim body (pic attached) created from a part model. There are (6) sets of (2) holes ((12) total) around the circumference that I need to get rid of and blend that area with the (3) surfaces coming together right there so that I have a solid trim body in that area. I cannot figure out how to get rid of the small holes. Can anyone assist me?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9ca8fd34-a86e-46be-b2de-0462d3aa4ad4&file=Trim_Body_With_Holes.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A few ideas:
[ul]
[li]you say that it is "created from a part model". If the model is parameterized, you can simply suppress the feature(s) that create the holes and extract the necessary faces. If you don't have access to the parameters, see below.[/li]
[li]use extract geometry -> face with the "delete holes" option, if this works, you'll get an associative copy of your sheet body, without the holes[/li]
[li]use "fill surface" (NX 9 or higher) to recreate the needed faces[/li]
[li]if fill surface is not available to you, "N-sided" surface might do the trick[/li]
[/ul]

www.nxjournaling.com

Hi Brent,

Is there no model history to this part or something (AKA a dumb model)? If that's the case, have you tried Delete Edge and selecting all of the edges around each hole? If that doesn't work, you may have to Extract each face, Untrim them then Trim Sheet to the hole edges and Sew or Patch into the model. Not saying either method will work flawlessly, but without the model, it's anyone's best guess.

Fill Surface was made just for these situations but it can take a bit of practice to use it effectively.

I'm sure more users might have other ideas.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Cowski - Xwheelguy - Thank you for your responses. I have not had a chance to try your direction yet, but will tomorrow. Thanks again. Also, we just received a .stp file, no features history.

Thanks again,

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back