Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help to establish tolerance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm2

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2005
MX
To assemble a couple of pins at diameter 5.1 from detail L with a press, the part (material aluminuim) is fixed using the two diameters of 40.035 (section A-A). Basically two cylinders get inside those two "pockets" (diameters of 40.035).
I will really appreciate your help to establish the correct tolerance for the couple of cylinders that help fix the part. Is it better to keep one rigid and the other one flexible? is it enough with just a tight tolerance? what will be the correct tolerance?
I really appreciate your help, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are asking very specific questions regarding one part. The fit of the mating parts on this housing will determine the tolerances you need. Look at the whole assembly design and you will most likely answer your own question.

Thanks fcsuper I will try it, though, CheckerRon suggestion is a good idea. It will be a little bit hard because the mating part has a very very tight tolerance (since it slides up and down on those pockets) but it is a smart reference to take in account. Thanks both of you for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back