Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with welding symbols and blueprint reading. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weldfan

Structural
May 8, 2003
US
im a weder at jobcorps and need some information...i need to know where i can get information on welding symbols and blueprint reading. the information is for a final project.in order to go full time in welding...plz help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Folks,
I just checked out the Royweb & Volvo links above. Whoa![bomb]. British and whatever are backwards!!. [shocked]I'm glad I got the education and I appreciate the sites for expanding my mind, but we should not have given that info to a welding student. It is incorrect for work in the USA.

AWS A2.4 is what is used here in the USA and you can often find the info in appendices to Lincoln or Miller handbooks for free.

A trick I use to keep things straight.

In the USA:

Above the reference line is "Other" side reference, not far side. Below the reference line is "Arrow" side. Arrow side information refers to the side of the joint to which the arrow points. Other side reference (above the line) refers to the side opposite the side of the joint to which the arrow points.

We are talking about the joint "interface". If I make a tee joint with the tee stem pointing up, the thickness of the stem makes my joint interface. The interface has two sides. Then I can make whatever weld configuration I want, like a complete-penetration bevel groove. A single bevel groove beveled from the other side has an arrow pointing to the joint with the welding symbol above the reference line. No prep where the arrow points.

Your welding instructor is probably better at the welding symbols than an engineer or detailer. Have fun!

Koz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back