Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need helping finding an air cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrud

Automotive
Nov 14, 2005
US
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to help me find something. What I'm looking for is a cup style air cylinder with a hollow center.

It is something similar to this:
img_home_03.jpg

That is from a kit that is used to fit over a conventional coil over setup for a car to raise and lower the ride height. They seem to be low pressure because of the fittings that are on it.

I have been looking all night, and can't seem to find anything that will work for it, maybe I'm just not looking in the right place or don't know what something like this would be called. So I'm hoping someone else on here has come across something like this and might have some leads for me.

I appreciate any help,
Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That does sound like something that would work. Do you have any idea on who would manufacture something like that. I will search more later, but I'm still having trouble finding something that will work.

What I would really like to find is essentially a metal expanding donut. Basically a spring spacer that would increase height with air pressure. I am also open to other ways of changing the height of the spacer. But I'm not having any luck finding anything or figure out who the best place to talk to about something like this would be.

The biggest constraint is the need for the center to be open. Which is making it hard to find.

Tim

I did a quick internet search yesterday to see if I could find your can pictured above - I didn't find it, but I did find many manufacturers of "air springs" who would be willing to talk about custom designs.

Thanks Mike, I was hoping to find something off the shelf before I had to start making custom order quoting phone calls.

Monkeydog, that's not what I'm looking for, that's what I'm trying to find a better/cheaper way to do. I'm looking for alternatives to that.

springs take lateral forces how will this cylinder respond to those forces? people do come up with all these fancy researches but their is no garantee that these things have long term reliablity.

Unclysyd, I don't want to use rubber bellows for something like this. I'm looking for something with a smaller constant OD to fit in a smaller area. It seems anything on that any rubber bellows that I have found that will provide enough force are too big for what I need.

Rizwa1n, the placement of these will seperate them from any side loading from the suspension. The only loads they will see are axial loading from the springs. The will basically be taking the place of helper springs so they will be sitting between the spring and the upper spring hat.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back