Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need: material properties from a standard material perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGH

Petroleum
Oct 27, 2001
GB
In my experience there is a disconnect between materials theory:
which discusses material properties in terms of dislocation movement, grain structures (Austenite, ferrite, HCP etc.), thermal history, etc.
and materials practice which talks in terms of standards which give you macro properties (ASME VIII, PD 5500, etc.), recipes (e.g. ASTM) and corrosion properties (NACE, manufacturers, etc).
Is anyone aware of reference material that bridges the gap and describes materials theory in the context of standard materials? E.g. 316 stainless steel differs from 304 in that it contains 2% molybdenum, this molybdenum is added to enhance corrosion properties, the material is Austenitic and hence has good ductility at low temperatures … … …

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would first try the ASM Metals Handbooks.
I'm not in possession of a set at the present time so someone please give him the current volume # he needs. These handbooks have all you ever want to know and more about materials. They are a little expensive, but invaluable.

They also have a outstanding selection of other reference books on metals and materials. Since you seem to have some background in metals science, they have a series of home study or correspondence courses that might be interest to you.

There are many reference books on the whys and wherefores of various mixtures used in
metals industries. We used to call these metallurgy books. They didn’t sell very well.

Most metal producers have brochures on their products explaining the composition and its benefits.

Have been around metals for many years. I started like you wanting to know what was the function of all the ingredients. I was fortunate in this respect as I was starting out, working in a large foundry. I had a great boss/tutor he taught me the basics, but told me what the nat’s eye was.

Good luck in your quest.

I agree with unclesyd that ASM International has the reference material that will provide the answers to your questions. Their new URL is:

Go to bookstore. Besides the ASM Handbook Series (which is worth every penny), one particular book you might like is titled Alloying: Understanding the Basics". To save on the cost of all books, try becoming a member of ASM International. In addition to the ~ $100 dues, if you pay $179 per year, you can access all volumes of the Handbook series over the Internet - quite a bargain.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I will expand on unclesyd's excellent reply: I think you have found what you are looking for. If we can't answer your specfic questions, we can point you to where you can find the information. For example; Some of us are members of ASM and therefore can access the metals handbook desk edition on-line and some have on-line access to the complete set of metals handbooks (approximately $3,200 worth of metal/naterials literature). There are stainless experts, failure analyses experts, welding experts, corrosion experts to name a few on this forum whose expreience can shed light on the theroetical/practical link you are looking for.

I studied metallurgy for six years (2 yrs metallurgical technichian and 4 yrs metallurgical engineering). Even though our carriculum for metallurgical engineering was bent toward the practical end, there are many points that I did not not equate from the theoretical study to the practical until I was esposed to specific examples. For instance; Until I needed to apply strength-of-materials in designing equipment, I did not undrrstand the relationship of stiffness vs yeild/ultimate/toughness of a material. In like manner, I learned from experience/interaction with coworkers that stiffness is directly proportional to the 4th power of the diameter. In other words; the stiffness of a member is not generally affected by processing rather is a funtion of basic material property and geometry.

Metals handbook failure analsyis section has some excellent explanation of theory of microvoid coalescence vs cleavage fracture and associated effects of geometry that bridge the gap between theory and practice in understanding macro/micro failure asnalysis and how this applies to understanding when to look for brittle failure, ductile fulure, or fatifue falure. This connection made it possible for me to know when to conduct our own macro/ micro analysis and when to submit samples for deeper SEM and chemical analysis.

In essence what I am saying is, "given enough specifics, the information you are looking for can be ferreted out."

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

GGH,
I wish to thank "CoryPad" and "metman" for their able assistance in answering your request.
What both say about the ASM Handbooks is true in every respect. I'm certainly was appreciative of the ubiquitous yellow notes. My old Handbook 8 th edition "Failure Analysis and Prevention" was suffering from those thick book marks. The $179 is the best bargain I’ve seen lately. Still get the handbooks for yourself if you can because there might be power failure.

metman; During my working career I was fortunate in the fact that I got to see all the small details you mention and some. I even had a sample of a 17" long H2 “Assisted Fatigue” from an operating vessel that I was able to procure by convincing management that it was essential to cut in patch and not repair the crack. At the time is was the only one available for metallurgical examination. It was all over the world. It was a very enjoyable time.

Again good

GGH - I have a book you should definitely check out. I took Materials Engineering and think this is probably the best text I bought in University and it has been really helpful now that I am in industry. The book is called "Structure and Properties of Engineering Alloys" by William F. Smith. I think it does a good job of bridging that theory/practical gap you were talking about.

One of the things I like best is that the book is divided into sections based on material groups (carbon steel, alloy steels etc). For each group it talks about mechanical properties and composition: what elements make the material that type/class and specifically what each element does for the properties of the alloy. It will tell you what alloy additions stabilize austenite, help form carbides, increase hardenability, lower the eutectoid carbon content, etc. It also has lists of common alloys/grades within each material group and their typical applications. These charts have been helpful for me when doing material selection or when determining if we are using the correct material for a given application.

The book also talks about grain size, heat treating, steel making basics, processing operations(e.g. hot/cold rolling), alloy classifications and designations, etc. I've found it does a great job of covering the basics in a way that you can actually apply them to the real world. I don't remember how much I paid for it but whatever it was, it was worth every penny! I find Smith to be a fantastic reference book especially when you don't have a lot of time to be reading/researching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back