Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need sample working drawings for 3d madelling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbyod

Industrial
May 11, 2010
US
Hi all,
Im trying to brush up on my parametric CAD skills, something i havent done much of since college, and im looking for samples of working drawings which i can attempt to make a 3d model of.

Im using T-Flex (not willing to pay for Pro-E or Solid works) which has some good tutorials but nothing i can really work with.

If anyone has some links to useful websites or working drawings of your own which you would like to share that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to find some older Drafting textbooks, they were full of castings and other exercises. That's what I did when I started using SolidWorks 2001 plus...

SolidWorks 2010 SP4
AMD AthlonII X4 620
Windows XP X32 Pro 2.5GB RAM,
Nvidia Quadro FX570, 19" widescreen
Logitech Marble Mouse, Space Navigator

And the older the drafting textbook the better. One guy in our office has one from 1936 that he picked-up at a used-book store for a couple of bucks. It's full of beautiful hand-drawn 3D pictorial illustrations, many of them simple mechanical parts and small assemblies from things like lathe/machine-tool, pumps, farm implements, etc.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Machine design book from your Uni would be a gud option. I saw a training institute running an advanced course which concentrate on best practices etc. using examples from these books.

I have found two small drawings already with google image where the dim's are still legible, but im looking for more.

I though there might have been an online resource that i didnt know about.

The old books are a good idea, but short of finding one on eBay, i dont think i will get one

I will start trawling some suppliers websites for downloadable drawings, forgot about that. Any suggestions?

This is more of a hobby of mine than anything else, i have some limited use for it in work, but im doing it at home out of interest.

T-Flex has a free student version for download. its comparable to Pro E and solid works in many respects (in my limited experience) and is the only parametric CAD alternative ive found.

Thanks

McMaster-Carr. You can get product drawings (general dimensions only) and for a lot of items you can get a solid model. This would allow you to compare your modeling to the target. 3DContent Central is great for SWX models.

The SWX tutorials are must if you are just starting out.

- - -Updraft

Start modeling the gizmos you are interested in making. I have found that my interest stays on track a bit longer when I am actually makeing / modeling the gizmos I want for my self. If you make mistakes it is easier to either start over or edit the model you made, if you have some self interest in the project. You will make mistakes but will be more tolerent on yourself under these conditions.

You can download free educational versions of AutoDesk products, including Inventor at students.autodesk.com. These have 3 years licenses.

Much better to spend time learning one of the main stream CAD systems, then T-Flex.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Core i7 EE965, FirePro V8700, 12 Gb RAM, OCZ Vertex 120 Gb SSD, Dell 3008WFP 30" Monitor
SW2010 SP2.1, Windows 7 x64

Ok,
After a LOT of searching the best i can find is below. The first link has numerous drawings, the others are links to just one drawing.
They are the only fully dimesnioned drawings i can find with google.

I also thought i should start with some of the 3d model examples that come with T-Flex, create 2d projections of those and then redo the whole thing from the dimensioned drawings. There are definately some more interesting models there.

Links

Best

hopefully anyone else with a similar problem will find the links and info useful

Thanks for the comments, please continue posting any links or even drawings which may be useful

Robby

I have found two small drawings already with google image ...

I am sure there is plenty of information available on the internet, but also most towns, cities and schools have a building called, "The Library". Many students these days are not familiar with this building but it is likely to have many drafting books with the information you seek. For free!

Firstly,
Not a student anymore (read above)

Second,
Im pretty sure that the small town library near me does not have 3D modelling in parametric CAD books lying around. My college library definitely does (but im no longer a student remember), but not the one where i live.

The library has been ruled out

Your local library may have older 2D drafting texts, use those along with the help from your 3D cad system to get your practice. Not much in the way of 3D cad modeling in 1936.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Not absolutely of topic, useful for brushing up on details maybe.

It is a good resource, just not for detailed models which i could practice on.

I have started modelling/designing some new equipment at work anyway, should keep me occupied.

Thanks

Here are a couple of examples of the types of images which you should be working with if you really wanted to learn how to create 3D models:

Shaft-Bearing_Pedestal.jpg

Butterfly_Valve_Assembly.jpg

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back