Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need source for custom fiberglass prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlepinske

Industrial
Apr 19, 2004
US
I am looking for a company that can take my 3D hull data and fabricate 2 fiberglass over foam floats, 3m length, .19m draft, .296m beam. I found a model shop that quoted at $13K-15K for the pair, I was looking for someone in the marine business to quote a price. The hulls are for a functional prototype and so must be made to our specifications vs. an off the shelf sponson or aka.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If epoxy resin on polysterene foam is acceptable then try a custom sailboard maker. I'd guess around 5000 Australian dollars (4000 US) for the pair, so long as you only need a lengthwise stiffener. As you add hardpoints etc then it will get more expensive.

Cheers

Greg Locock

jlepinske,

Contact Ted Mcintyre with Marine Turbine Technologies. He built Jay Leno's Turbine Motorcycle.

He is a guru on boats and fiberglass as well as carbon fiber. His true expertise is converting gas turbines for marine use - boats. I road in one of his upgraded boats. We were running 140 mph in the Vermillion bay. Yes, one hundred and forty miles per hour.

He will know the best glasser in the business.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back