Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to calculate least size bounding box REGARDLESS of coordinate system 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

John-FR

Computer
Dec 16, 2020
US
I have a need to find the very smallest box some solid bodies can be contained within. the bounding box cant work because the parts are too complicated/not square to the absolute coordinate systems or any other coordinate system. Is there a command or grip program that will perform this? Can it be done in another CAD software?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The "best fit" alignment tool in the reverse engineering looks interesting, but it is not what I was referring to.

In the measure tool, there is an option for a best fit alignment bounding box. Start the measure tool, make sure the "other" measurement result is turned on, in the measure -> settings -> preferences -> general -> change the bounding box method to "best fit". In measure -> settings -> preferences -> measurements -> other, make sure the "bounding box" option is turned on. Set the selection to object and pick a solid body, a bounding box with measurements will be shown around the body.

NX_measure_dialog_other_bxhr5v.png
NX_measure_bounding_box_convention_xiey38.png

www.nxjournaling.com

Wow, didn't notice this option. Already added this to a component that gets modified and re-used constantly and it will both save time and insure accuracy. Always assigned sizes to attributes with a journal and would have to update it with every change. Opening the way-back machine, using an idea from a post by John Baker, I wrote a journal to get the size of an object using planes before this type of measurement option was ever available.

cowski said:
In the measure tool, there is an option for a best fit alignment bounding box.

NX 2212 Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back