Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to reduce impact load due to gear backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

sry110

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2009
US
I am designing a gear+motor arrangement that will start the driven equipment shaft train from rest ("Breakaway"). The motor is sized such that its 300% starting torque (locked rotor torque) is required to achieve breakaway. There is considerable backlash in the gearbox and inherent to its design I cannot reduce the backlash. This results in a high impact load when the motor is started DOL. I need to find a way to engage the gearbox slowly and/or softly to minimize or eliminate the impact load at start-up.

Here are the options I have considered so far:
1) Mechanical soft-start, i.e. fluid coupling- The fluid coupling rating would be equal to the full load rating of the motor, but we need to take advantage of the 300% starting torque of the motor to achieve breakaway, which the fluid coupling will not transmit.

2) VFD- A variable frequency drive would allow me to creep the gears into engagement, but I believe most VFDs will only allow ~150% rated motor torque which only gets me half way to where I need to be

3) Electrical soft-starter- We have tried these before and have found that as soon as the soft start module detects no load, it bypasses the soft-start function and allows full power to the motor. In our case, this is immediately upon start-up due to the backlash in the gears.

4) Pre-engagement motor- I have considered using a fractional-power motor mounted to a free shaft, or piggybacked onto my main motor, whose only function is to take up the backlash in the gears, but is not large enough to cause any damage or start the driven equipment turning. From my perspective this is the easiest solution, however it is not the most 'elegant' solution in that it causes the need for an additional motor starter and control logic to properly sequence the operation of the small pre-engagement motor and larger main drive motor.

5) Manual pre-engagement- Another simple solution, but the intent of the system is to be fully automatic and therefore not requiring manual operation. Plus the lock-out / tag-out procedures required to prevent accidental energizing of the motor while manually turning are cumbersome.

I am open to any suggestions you all might have! Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Put electric brakes on both the output and input shafts. At shutdown engage the output brake ahead of the input brake to maintain preload on the on gear train; the input brake might be sequenced by a centrifugal switch that stays closed until the input RPM is near zero.

2) Use a wimpy VFD and separate contactor. The VFD drive to take the backlash out; then the contactor engages for full current.

Thanks for your input, Dave. Regarding the "wimpy VFD", are you suggesting one that is undersized relative to the rating of the motor? e.g. a VFD rated for 5HP used to drive a 20HP motor?

I like this idea. We would essentially supply a control box along with the mechanical package that would include the VFD and the DOL motor starter contact.

sry110,

There are rubber shaft couplings out there. Would one of these be resilient enough to protect your transmission?

Why is the impact load a problem?

--
JHG

^ We currently use TB Woods Sureflex couplings with neoprene (rubber) sleeves, but even then the impact that occurs when the clutch engages can exceed the safe levels for the gearbox. It's just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

@ MikeHalloran: YES! Just today we were looking at these. It looks like for a given motor hp rating the Flexidyne coupling is rated up to 200% rated torque (max), so it seems we could select our motor such that its 200% torque output is sufficient to achieve breakaway, and any additional torque it generates would be sapped by the coupling.

Do you have any personal experience using these couplings?

I have no experience with Flexidynes, other than specifying them for a small job in a paper mill, decades ago, when I was a snot-nose kid spreading lead in the summer between semesters. I heard no complaints about that job, and I'm pretty sure I would have heard if there were a problem.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

sry110-

I read your OP and I'm unclear why backlash in the geartrain is an issue. If there is backlash present in the geartrain at startup, why would the motor "breakaway torque" be so high? If there is backlash in the geartrain when the motor is energized, there will be very little load created on the motor until the backlash is taken up. And then the dynamic loads produced on the gear flank contacts is a function of the motor inertia versus the driven load/inertia and drivetrain stiffness.

It seems to me that you have a motor starting load problem rather than a geartrain impact load problem. Even a commercial grade gearbox with several stages would only have around 20-30deg of total backlash at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back