Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to Survey Boundaries within Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakc

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2007
GB
I need to do a basic survey to agree boundary's for buying some land within a woodland.
Heres the woodland roughly drawn out in Live Maps:

I now need to draw out the boundaries accuratley. Im A GIS Consultant, so I should really know a bit more about this. GPS won't work under treecover. Ive thought about measuring out with tape measures each boundary, but im looking for thoughts on how to go about this. Taking into account, im doing this without access to survey equipment - What would you suggest? I thought if I could get the measurements and a few reference points that I could match up to 1:10k OS mapping, Is should be able to map out the area satisfactorily.

Some advice, tips would be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try a W3 search for "elementary surveying pdf". You should get lots of hits.

In the US, you would generally be required to retain a licensed land surveyor for this work. Is that not the case in the UK?

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

Get some survey equipment and do an old fashion traverse. You can hire a level and theodolite from most of the reputable hire companies. I really wouldn't be that expensive, especially if offset against the potential cost of loss if you get it wrong.

Or, if the cost of a mistake is high, just get a topo survey company in to do it for you.

Go down to your local survey shop and rent a instrument and traverse the boundary ye olde fashion way. Either that or get a chain saw.
"Sometimes technology gets in our way and we fail to see the solution under our nose."
Regards,
Namdac

i believe the newer gps equipment will work in heavy cover...i'm not a surveyor but have done a little survey work. check with a supplier and see what they say. worst case, do it the old fashioned way with a theodolite and a six pack of beer...(that's the toned down rumor anyway from the surveyors i know)

GPS is still pretty finicky. For the accuracies needed for a decent boundary survey, you need still need to have clear skies.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Call a land surveyor licensed in your area.It is against the law in all 50 states to survey without a license. If you have a survey crew at work you may want to utilize them. The same board that governs engineers also governs surveyors.

Timothy Day
Field Engineer and Surveyor
Brasfield and Gorrie Gen.Contractors
Birmingham, Al. U.S.A.

Im in jolly old England and am pretty sure you don't need to be licensed for this basic survey - will check.

Think I will attempt to do a basic survey with compass and measuring tapes, and if this is rubbish, will rent out a theodolite and see if I can get some better results. If not, ill have to fork out some £.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Not really, you can rent a total station and a data collector from a shop and then transfer the data to the GPS software. Quite simple.
Regards,
Namdac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back