Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need valve recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyatMP

Industrial
Jun 8, 2007
US
I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.

I need a recommendation for a valve used to shut off flow from a material holding tank. There is no pressure other than head pressure from the 12k gal tank. The material is a latex product.The valve gets manually opened at the begining of the shift, and closed at the end.I am currently using 3"npt Apollo Bronze Ball Valves, and I'm think maybe there is another option. The Apollo valves have really gone up in price, and the 3" ball valve can be a bear to operate.

Thanks,
Sonny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem with latex products is that rests could tend to clog/harden or partly harden in the room between ball and valve body, giving excess operating torque.

Normal steel or stainless steel would probably be OK (Solvent present ?) for your product.

You could try a Globe - Y-pattern valve, preferably with sharp-edged seat, and check if you get a proper flow and avoid clogging. (Actually I doubdt this, but depending on product consistence)

Alternatively you could try a stainless steel ballvalve with three parts, making it possible to losen the four connecting bolts, take out three of them and swing out the ball-body part for inspection and cleaning/changing.

The painting industry used years ago a sort of open-ended outlet with circle-segment formed sliding plane attached. Closing and opening by contra-formed attached 'gate', thus only suitable for open-ended flowregulating by filling barrels etc.

Did you ever consider a diaphragm valve? They are not a quarter turn to open and close so although it takes a few more cranks on the wheel to operate it won't be quite as hard to operate. Check out . Their Dia-Flo valves will probably do the trick. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back