Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Net Uplift Load Path - Wood Framed Apartment 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

volcomrr

Structural
Sep 25, 2013
US
I'm designing a 4 story wood framed apartment in a vanilla wind zone (i.e. Vult = 115mph). Given the architectural geometry, I'm using a steel framed 2nd floor with slab on metal deck (essentially a podium slab) which supports two additional floors and the roof. The roof happens to be in a sawtooth configuration, which exacerbates the components and cladding uplift loads. With that being said, I have an extreme amount of net uplift at my interior and exterior bearing walls: 708plf ASD net uplift at the roof bearing interior walls based on 0.6D±0.6W using components and cladding loads.

Given the 0.6D part, I need to trace this net uplift all the way back down to my steel podium. Using a holdown on every stud seems asinine; however, cutting a slit in the floor sheathing at each stud to allow a coil strap to pass through does as well. I'm interested in your thoughts on creating a load path down to the podium, whether that be confirming either of the two previous mentioned options or something else creative. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Aesur, almost never. I inherit a lot of stuff where people just decided Exposure B and they're wrong, in my opinion, so it gets messy. What, are you in Scottsdale, AZ?

Just to stir the pot, anyone looked at the roof hold down tables un the IRC or conventional wood framing section of the IBC? Did you know they're based on MWFRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back