Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Net Zero Disaster 11

Oops409

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2024
US
Wide Awake Media said:
Texas, USA: A single hailstorm reduced thousands of acres of solar panels into a pile of debris—leaching toxic materials like lead and cadmium into the soil.

Expect a lot more of this as a result of the aggressive globalist push to achieve "net zero emissions" by 2050.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why_You_Don_t_Need_to_Worry_About_Broken_Solar_Panels_SEIA_i2kd8d.jpg

From above link to SEIA's web site, it states SEIS is a lobbying association to fight for policies/legislation that promotes solar energy.

Hardly an unbiased independent group! Buyer Beware.

The thing is when hail storms take out your total electric energy grid, in parts of Texas where all they have is solar, there is not a short and quick process to procure new panels and replace massive solar fields. Thus a backup system is required. Perhaps that will be sand blasted desert based wind mills?

Solar and Wind Mills are partial capacity solutions with a host of issues and trades, that can never supply the power required by our grid 24/7 even with massive battery storage farms. It takes carbon to build and install solar farms and back up storage. No free lunch. AI data centers demand vast amounts of energy, along with mandated EV's. We are on crash and burn path, IMO.

We need to cover the solar panels with Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott's Transparent Aluminum! It allowed carrying tons of whales and water (from the movie Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home) and still had a clear view of the whales inside so I would assume no blockage of the energy in the sun's rays. [thumbsup]

Oops409 said:
Hardly an unbiased independent group! Buyer Beware.

Good thing we have X to provide the unbiased truth about what's in the panels. Just can't trust those lying manufacturer members of the trade association.

Beats the political hatred sewn by the astroturfing campaigns from the petroleum and natural gas cartels.

Remember - the mystery chemicals that they inject for fracking aren't ever to be disclosed because when they are found in water wells that would let the farmers know who to sue. Hundreds of additional earthquakes over magnitude 3 every year in OK? Not related in any way to fracking, say the fracking companies. Almost no earthquakes in OK before fracking started.

"It takes carbon to build and install solar farms and back up storage," except for wind and solar and hydro and geothermal electrical sources. A lot of aluminum ore is processed by the TVA hydroelectric dams. Even steel is getting recycled in electric furnaces.

"when hail storms take out your total electric energy grid" is not what happened here.

What did happen in Texas is the majority of electrical production was taken out because is was cold. The wind farms, normally down-rated for winter, produced more than expected when the gas-fired turbines stopped turning.

Interesting on the concern about pollution from the broken panels as coal fired plants produce sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides as well as releasing tons of radioactive materials into the air.

America was certainly great when its rivers were so polluted they could literally catch fire. I suppose if people continue to poison themselves that will really teach the globalists a lesson.

I agree Oops409. I want more information from an independent source not associated with green energy or fossil fuel industries.

At face value, I don't know how one can say that it is safe when a field of solar panels gets smashed by hail storms. A cursory review shows that solar panels can contain lead, arsenic, and cadmium. The components that make up the solar panels are now likely to be part of the surrounding soil for a long time, if not forever, after a big hail storm.

This is the issue with most man-made items. The exterior of my 130-year-old house was likely painted with lead paint at one time. I'm sure if you tested the soil around my house, it would test positive for lead paint from previous scraping, sanding, and prep work for re-painting. That soil will always now have traces of lead.

Are you going to eat the soil? I hope not. Are you going to breathe it in on a dry, windy day? Maybe.

Solar companies are always closing down, with owners opening a new company to avoid some legal issues. I often wonder what will happen to the fields of solar panels in 30 years when they are no longer effective and the company is no longer around. Who will pay for their disposal and replacement? I can take a wild guess.

Let's hope we're not developing the future superfund sites because of the "need" for solar panels.

We need to cover the solar panels with Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott's Transparent Aluminum!
Great idea.
I came across that product a few days ago when browsing the local building supply store.
An added advantage;
It was much cheaper than the Unobtainium displayed two bins over.
(I thoght that strange. I had always assumed that Transparent Aluminum was a derivative of Unobtainium.)
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

The CdTe solar cell technology is pretty straightforward; even without the plastic coating, the solar cell structure is layered with glass on one side and a metallic layer on the other.

I posted a bad link early about Cd leaching from solar cells. used two things that are not present in the current situation, "granulated" solar cell material, which is not the case here, and a "continuousflow column simulating the acidic landfill phase," which is also not present. Furthermore, the panels were "prepared" by smashing the panels as well as separating the CdTe layer from the glass protection, again, something that is not present in this case. Only after all of this did the leaching exceed legal limits. Biased much?

graphic_cdte_cell_jjebzn.jpg

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Wikipedia said:
Cadmium's use is generally decreasing because it is toxic (it is specifically listed in the European Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive[7]) and nickel–cadmium batteries have been replaced with nickel–metal hydride and lithium-ion batteries. Due to it being a neutron poison, cadmium is also used as a component of control rods in nuclear fission reactors. One of its few new uses is in cadmium telluride solar panels.

From the 3D Holy Grail of Information! 🦍

Edit: In addition to the taste sense, I can see fuel or oil mixed with water, smell it, and feel the difference between oil and water.

I suppose the external links SEIA are biased as well? The gridinfo.com link claims crystalline silicon.

Of course Mr. Wide Awake provided no backup at all to his assertions.

If you like Wikipedia:
3D Holy Grail of Information said:
Crystalline silicon is the dominant semiconducting material used in photovoltaic technology for the production of solar cells. These cells are assembled into solar panels as part of a photovoltaic system to generate solar power from sunlight.

Mr. Wide Awake

Actually, I gender ID female today, so I can start an 8A company to be awarded Government Set-Aside Contracts.

Wikipedia is the 3D Holy Grail of Information, to be clear..... Quote was from Wikipedia.......

Back