Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New Salmon and Johnson Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll believe it when September 18 rolls around and someone actually gets it. It was originally supposed to be available in April of 2007 (yes, that is correct, April of '07), but the date kept moving back (probably about 7 or 8 times). I had it pre-ordered through Amazon over a year ago and got sick of waiting so I canceled my order. I'll wait until it is actually out to order it.

Clansman - the older S&J book I have does include some good information - but when the examples showed up they generally followed the AISC specifications. It would still be a useful book for anyone - but if there is a good quality CSA-specific book out there it would be better to go with that I'm sure.

Exactly JAE,
CSA S16 differs from AISC, however the fundamentals are the same. Salmon Johnson 3rd ed. I use as a basic reference, so yes that dates me.
Clansman;
Steel design 'Guide to Stability Design Criteria for Metal Structures' is a must, T.V. Galambos is the 'god' of steel design but haven't got around to purchasing latest edition and still have the 4th edition handy.
S-16 (Canadian) contains many useful references, which are what your looking for anyways, ie the references.

connect2,
3rd edition doesn't date you too much. Mine is 2nd Edition and it was hot off the presses in my Grad School Advanced Structures Class. It's still a good reference.

Ha, click on the site again, it's moved back to October 11. If we're lucky it might actually be out by the time the NEXT steel spec is released!

We'll see. I pre-ordered it a while back, so I'm paying $122. Up until today, it had it shown online as expecting to ship yesterday. Now it says it will ship next Friday. This book better completely blow my mind!

I have the e-book and it looks A LOT like my circa 1990 edition, except with updated Spec. Eq. references. Seems to me to be a tiny update.

271828 - that is what I heard from some of the reviewers - a face-lift of equation references. I haven't seen it myself though so I am not speaking from experience.

Are you kidding?!?! I've been waiting for this book for a long time - thinking it would give such a great explanation for the DAM.
I got an email this morning that my copy shipped and should be here Monday.

Heh - give us a review when you get it, maybe I'm wrong. As far as the DM method goes, the Stability design guide (whenever it comes out) should handle that quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back