Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Well Completions please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfsaint

Petroleum
Mar 11, 2008
TT
Hi all, I'm a completions engineer trainee and I really need some help. I know the basics, how hydrocarbon is produced, parts of a rig, how to read reports. The problem is if I am to design a completion I don't know where to start calculating amount of tubing, propant, brine, base oil. I'm lost can someone please help ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just do what your mentor will do--call Halliburton (or Schulmberger, or BJ) and tell them to send you over a design. They'll just pull it out of a file, but it will be pretty and have all the blocks filled in.

David

NO. I'm not a completion engineer, but you need to understand any engineering problem and how to apply the rules, laws, emperical data to the situation.

Certainly the vendors can give you a design, but you need tounderstand all the assumption and how the variables in teract. Use the vendor to do this a time or two.

If some engineer had not taken the time to design a completion, the Barnett Shale would never haven been discovered as a economic field.

Look at the completions procedures done before in this field. Apply similar if they have been sucessfully.

Generally those are the things to remember.

Formation - how sensitiv it is. Based on that the completion fluid and perforation procedure is choosen.

Charges and perforation density - ask vendors which is best.

Flow and test the formation. Based on resevoir and PVT data an economicall analysis can be done and decision can be made as to stimulate the well as well as tubing and downhole equipment to be run in hole.

Well completion is process to complete the well for getting production safe and efficient manner. Well completion is starts after drilling and end at processing of production to finish end. Two types of well completion 1. cased hole completion 2. open hole completion
Well completion depends on
1. Design criteria
2. Mechanical string design
3. initiation and production of well etc.

Well completion can be vertical deviated, horizontal well completion depends upon drilling type done on the well.

Well completion is some of 12-30 % cost of well depends upon completion type selected.

Well completion does not end at production engineering, but also take into account the reservoir and drilling studies.

Casing design and tubing design is main design consideration in well completion.

Please ask your questions in particular phase of well completion so that i can be able to reply yuo more better.

"Completion Design" is a big topic... what exactly do you mean? If you're starting from scratch, then you're looking at the lower completion: perforated? bare foot? sand control? Then on to inflow/ outflow curves to decide the tubing size, and then deciding if stimulation or artificial lift is needed. Some companies call the guys that do the completion design up to this concept stage "Production Technologists".

After the concept has been selected (often for the entire field), the particular well completion has to be designed. The first thing is the stress analysis: what tubing weight do you need, or could you use things like PBRs, or land the tubing in tension to reduce the in service stress. Then you work out the the exact depths of stuff, the amount of tubing, and any jewellry: SSSVs, nipples, PBRs. Then you can write your completion programme, knowing volumes, depths, pressures etc working out what fluids etc you're using, often going back to the Production Technology or Reservoir people for guidance on formation damage considerations and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back