Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbe Encounters Unknown Cursor (pointer) Symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountaininventor

Bioengineer
Dec 17, 2002
US
Probably right in front of my face, but does anyone know of a list of the meaning of all the solid works cursors. I have accidently involked a cursor that does not let me do anything. It looks like a half moon on top of a stick with the flat side of the moon on the upper side.
I looked all through solid works help. I suspect it is there for the topic that is related to its function, but since its function is unknown to me, the topic is also unknown.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look in the ONLINE USER'S GUIDE -> INDEX tab.
Search this: pointers, inferencing.
See if you find your pointer there.

Other than that, check to see if you somehow selected a goofy Windows pointer.
[santa3] H[sub]o[/sub][sup]3[/sup]
tatej@usfilter.com

Thanks,
I did already thoroughly check out the on-line user guide index as well as the all the add-on help indexes.

I doubt that it is a windows pointer because the pointer only shows up in the SW graphics window. I can move about the rest of solid works as normal.

Hi,

It sounds like you found the Hide/Show Dimensions command in the drafting mode. You ought to be able to just hit ESC and the pointer should return to normal.

Chris Gervais
Mechanical Designer
American Superconductor

Actually it sounds to me like you have inadvertantly turned on a selection filter (you can do this by hitting a hotkey) and I do not know what they care out of the box because I got rid of mine and use them for something else. but try tunring on your selcetion filter toolbar and turning them off. this should eliminate the problem.. most of the hotkeys for selection filter are under the
TOOLS/CUSTOMIZE/KEYBOARD in the "categories" subheading.... under "others" you will ifnd things like "select vertices", select faces" and things like that..

hope that helps Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

When you turn on your selection filter you don't get a mouse icon like what you pick in the selection filter. Instead you get a funnel looking shape. His discription doesn't sound like that. I agree with RawheadRex that it sounds more like a hide/show Dimension cmd.

But do follow Jon's statment on the hot keys...very useful.

Good luck, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

Thanks, everyone was on target. I would say that the symbol could also be described as a funnel. When I went to the link that was provided by macPT (good link! Even though it isn't in english it has all the symbols and you can figure out the words) the symbol was in the selection filter class.
Escape doesn't work to turn it off.
Again, Thanks

You can toggle the selection filter using your keyboard.
X= Faces
V= Vertices

I think there are a few more, but that's all I ever need. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Go to , fill the URL field, choose langages (original and final) and... voilá: the URL page is translated. Even better: the navigation from this tranlated URL as automatic translation.

But pay attention: the translation is not allways accurate!

Regards

Thanks to Mad Mango for the followup! I'm just starting with this program. Less than a week into it. I'm sure I'll get to the shortcuts sooner rather than later.

Thanks to macPT for the followup! What a Coooooool site. I not only bookmarked it, I synchronized. This will really come in handy for me as I do alot of work with foreign language clients.

By the way how did you choose your handles?

For me, it's a hold over from Grade School. I was about the only "asian" (half Filipino) kid in school, and when my mom used to pack my lunches, a lot of the time she would pack a mango for desert. Being 10 years old, it wasn't hard for other kids to think of a nickname.

Mountinainventor, really look into those shortcuts and hotkeys, they can be very helpful sometimes. Know where to find functions in the menu system though, as each user likes to set up their icons in different ways. That way you don't have to spend time looking for a specific icon when you jump on another computer. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

The 3 letters m-a-c are my name's first letters. mac is also my nickname in the company I work (in my company, everyone as a 3 letter nickname). When I subscribe this forum there was allready one registred mac. Since I'm portuguese (how many portuguese can I find in this forum?), I decided to identify me as the portuguese mac. So I became macPT.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back