Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Nitrates in Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimLord

Civil/Environmental
Sep 25, 2006
US
I am working with a small domestic water system (10 houses) that feeds off one very deep well. This is in an agricultural/rural area. One of the residents (middle aged woman) recently developed type I diabetes. Her doctor believes it could be from high nitrate levels in the water. Is this possible? I have not been able to find any information on negative reactions to nitratres. How do we reduce the nitrates, if it is a problem?

Also, we are having issues with the cistern. I would like to remove it altogether and direct pump to houses. Would anyone care to provide a counter argument.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you haven't done so, Google for "high nitrates in water" for a slew of pages on the subject. Most of the elevated nitrate problems involve small children.

Maybe the doctor in question can support his theory with some facts.

What is the nitrate level in question? The EPA mandates a MCL of 10 ppnm.

Orenda

Nitrates, according to the medical literature, creates oxygen uptake problems - I've not seen any issues with it involving diabetes.

Nitrates are easily removed with carbon filters - like Culligan and others have available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. There are "whole house" systems that are fairly inexpensive.

Nitrate levels in the well water will rise and fall depending on the season and how much ground water recharges the aquifier during the winter/spring months. Since you pump off a cistern, cental system - if the cistern does not have disinfection system (UV/chlorine, etc) then all the homes are at risk from bacterial/viral contamination. Each home should have it's own filtration/disinfection system. Carbon will remove much of the nitrite/nitrates - but acterial/viral (coliforms,etc) require UV or chlorine.

The USEPA recognizes only the following nitrate removal methods: Ion exchange, Reverse Osmosis, Electrodialysis.

Carbon removal is not an option.

Orenda

Nitrate does not cause diabetes. Nitrate causes two adverse health effects: induction of methemoglobinemia and the potential formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines.

For what it's worth, diabetes occurs frequently in older people, particularly if they are over weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back