Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no penetration of the surfaces when using surface interaction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergini

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2004
GB
Hi All, I am using surface-to-surface interaction and I had defined "Hard", frictionless contact behaviour. It is supposed that "Hard" contact refers to an interaction without any softening, in other words, no penetration of the surfaces can occur. However when visualizing the results in the deformed mode I see penetration of the surfaces. How can I avoid this?? Is there something wrong in my analysis??
Rgds, Sergini

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is only a graphical problem. To check if there is penetration you should colorcode the components according to outputvalue COPEN, which is the clearance between the surfaces. Negative values indicate penetration.

It's probably due to the master slave interaction, where one of them (the master surface I think) can penetrate the other. You can prevent this by having nodes directly opposing each other on the two surfaces, or by defining two contact definitions, reversing the master/slave definitions.

Tata

Corus, thanks for your help. I am particularly interested in the 2nd option "defining two contact definitions" but not sure how to implement it? Could you please give me some guidelines.Cheers!

You have one contact definition using surfaces S1 and S2 as master/slave respectively. Define another with surfaces S2 and S1 as master/slave respectively.

It's a more expensive way of defining contact if you're bothered about some minor overclosure of nodes and would be better resolved if your meshing was better.

Tata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back