Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No solution found - MathCad 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

djt123

Bioengineer
Jan 13, 2014
GB
Can somebody have a look at this?

This uses a solve block and an equation created with a boolean equal to solve for an unknown.
I want to solve for n and for different input values. This works for f := 1 but not f := 2 or f := 3.

I'm not very familiar with MathCad so this may not be the best approach. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way you had set it up, n has to be an integer (factorials aren't defined for non-integers) and Mathcad isn't good with diophantic equations, to put it polite. Furthermore I guess, you can't expect an integer solution for n anyway - it doesn't exist and thats exactly what Mathcad tells you. You may also simplify and rewrite your equation using Mathcads built-in function for the cumulative binomial distribution "pbinom()" but you won't get a solution either.

In case of your function I was successful replacing the factorials either with the appropriate Gamma functions and also by replacing them using mathcads built-in "combin()". The latter did surprise me as combin() won't work with non-integers, too.
The solution of course is a non-integer and for some reasons beyond me, the symbolic eval would only yield negative solutions (which are correct anyway) for odd values of f and refused to respect a n>0 constraint or an equivalent "assume" statement.
Nevertheless the numeric evaluation, given a positve guess value, always seems to return the prefered positive solution.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=700b3b87-9549-437b-bcd9-c3a23a6b441d&file=Test_2.xmcdz
Many thanks for this!

Your comments are understood and explanation clear. Thanks for providing the updated MathCad file.

Regards,
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back