Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no success using DXF/DWG export in NX5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohl

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2009
US
We have been unsuccessful trying to export a .dxf or .dwg format of a NX5 drawing. We are working within Drafting and have tried numerous option combinations within the export dialog. We use NX through Teamcenter Eng., but have also tried in native. Dxf mode will produce a single view with scattered lines while dwg is either a blank view or unreadable. Yes, "All Views" is selected. Has anyone been succesful with this type of export and what settings were used? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only experience I have is in native mode. The one kicker is to make sure your search directories are saved as your default. Go to File-Options-Assembly Load options, then set your search directories to find all of the parts in the drawing. Next, hit the save to file button at the bottom and click yes to overwrite the existing file. I don't know if that is what you are looking for or not (this is for 2D exchange, not export DXF/DWG).

With all of that said, we are running NX 5.0.6.3. A few service packs ago the 2D exchange function started going a little nuts. Dimensions and notes would go all over the place. Siemens knows about the problem and is working on a fix for the next release. Until then, we have one person here who has several old versions of NX loaded on their machine for exporting 2D drawings.

My advice when trying to translate a NX drawing to AutoCAD is to "wash the drawing" first by doing the following:

1) Export the NX file to a CGM File

2) Import that CGM back into NX (Save it with a new name)

3) Export the new NX file to a DXF File

To put it bluntly, your washing out all of the items that AutoCAD will choke on and you are left with a series of curves that AutoCAD will deal with.

Frankly as often as not I do and recommend what Msawtell advises. Mainly because I really can't see the point in translating to Autocad something that for all intents and purposes becomes roughly the equivalent of a PDF. In other words it often suits us not to allow that it might be modified outside of NX.

However a lot of people report acceptable results using 2D-exchange, once you have it set up correctly.

The problem with the original question is that there is more that one way that it might be going wrong and we don't know what about the translation isn't working. Typically with assemblies people haven't their load options for the translator set to find components. A single part drawing in master model concept is an assembly so this happens a lot.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

My advice to you is to use the 2d exchange in export...worked for me...

here are the steps to do the export:

- open the drawing in nx drafting mode
- go to file->export->2D Exchange...
- at advanced tab set the DXF revision to R14 (this is the best revision that works in all programs)
- at files tab set output to Modeling (not drafting) and output as to dxf or dwg extension
- then select the output directory and hit OK...

I thing that works...

Regards, Tadej

<smile> When it comes to translations between CAD systems - much like language translations in the real world - the lowest common denominator usually works the best. If you are dealing with a couple of companies that are under a deadline, what I outlined will work. And from what I can recall - AutoCAD users are unable to edit a PDF using an 'out of the box' seat of AutoCAD - as opposed to the DXF.

Do not get me wrong, 2D-Exchange is a viable alternative - if everything is in place (correct patches, experience personnel, etc.). But more often than not - a deadline is looming, and the management does not care about data issues, just results.

Yep! This question is often asked and I have the request made of me more times than I care to mention. The problem I always have with it is that when the question comes down to how well the data translates the most pertinent and least answered question is what does anyone expect to be able to do with the 2D version of the data.

If they want to tinker with it then I disagree.

If the part is something as complex as a drafted plastic moulding then in most cases they really need the 3D model, and I state something to that effect on the drawings.

If it is a simple machined part or flat pattern then by all means take the 2D data and work to it. Even then I have some concerns with anyone tinkering with dimensions to arrive at results not faithful to the design intent.

Sometimes I figure the PDF is the best thing because if all you need to do is read the drawing and I know that is all that's appropriate then it can be printed out just as satisfactorily.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

just to add to the conversation, at our facility we often need to use 2D DXF's to drive 2D fabrication machinery, like a waterjet. I'd be kidding if I said the NX to 2D DXF export process is smooth and easy to get right; in fact, we are still trying to figure out the best way to handle this workflow.

Siemens, please take note and make it easier to go from a solid model to a "good" 2D DXF!

Have you tried using the '2D Exchange' function as a 'pre-processor' for converting 3D models into 2D wireframe representations and then perform the NX to DXF export of just the relevant geometry?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank you potrero for pointing out an example of why I offered up the "washing technique" - there are a great deal of CNC machines that work off of AutoCAD files - and more often than naught, those files are composed of the simplest commands to make the CNC process the quickest and fastest. Why have a lot of overhead of "metadata" when a simple XYZ pattern will suffice?

Thanks to all who have offered up suggestions. I tried the 2Dexchange which worked to an extent, unfortunately, all the titleblock text that is mapped to TC attributes comes across as (#) symbols. The CGM trick worked best. It provides the cleanest *snapshot* image of the drawing. The DXF/DWG selection from the Export list after CGM translation still gave unusable output. So, I had to use 2Dexchange to export to .dxf or .dwg format. Text and all converted without incident.
That was the whole purpose of this, to provide a 2D drawing in a specific format from a 2D drawing in NX. Here, we have specific dwgs provided for customers that they will ask for electronic copies in a certain format. As far as 3D to 2D transfers, I can't recall being asked for .dxf format from 3D data.
I do have to say, the NX 2D translation method is not at all intuitive for what I presumed would be a straightforward task. Why have DXF/DWG in the export list when it seems to provide nothing of much use at all? CGM into 2Dexchange output to .dwg seems to do the job, though. Thanks again all. - CK

For Potrero and others if you have repetitive workflows then it is probably going to be worth while working with so kind of customisation. At a minimum macros or journals with the occasional need to add in pauses for user inputs will do the job. The problem with outputting DXF data which is popular for 2D fabrication processes is that the curves that you want to select often need to be moved from an as modelled location relative to the design into the absolute X,Y place in order to supply something suitable. That can involve a lot of extra steps that get very tedious if you don't set up a little macro to speed the process.

I find that simple curves don't need 2D Exchange or the approach via CGM it is only drawings that provide the levels of complexity to do with views and fonts that you're writing about.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back