Noise/vibrations in new home. Neighbors not affected?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amcmacken

Specifier/Regulator
Jul 31, 2020
US
Hello,
I live in a 6 year old home that is wood frame 2x4 construction with mostly brick on the exterior. Base grade windows throughout which were poorly installed 18 months after the house was built there were 1/4 gaps around all of the windows that needed to be filled with caulk on the inside. I’ve noticed a significant amount of outdoor noise and vibrations in the house and sometimes when the noise is present it sounds like blowing over a pop bottle. I am having the windows replaced with Marvin Elevate casement windows in the hope it will reduce the sound/vibrations. I have also had my exterior walls injected with additional insulation and my master suite interior walls filled with insulation. I also experienced quite a bit of deflection in my master bedroom and to remedy this situation I have added blocking between the joists in the basement. This has helped with the deflection but I still have vibrations throughout my home. The noise and vibrations are more apparent above where my I-beams and support poles are located in the basement. In some cases it feels like my home is a giant tuning fork. I also have a significant amount of bass like echo/sound in the corner of master suite when my tumble dryer is running, 20’ away.

The home is on land that has a high water table and because of that the builder built up the land. All of the land around the house slopes down approx 3-4’ over 8-10’

I’ve contacted the utilities companies, the local metal stamping facility and am coming up empty handed. Does anyone have any insight based on the information I’ve provided? I don’t know who to reach out to for help. I feel it’s definitely related to the house, otherwise my neighbors would have to be affected as well. This has become a major nuisance in my life and I rarely get a good nights sleep. I love my home and want to stay but have to find a solution to this issue. Not sure where to turn for help.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=efa9bc4f-ad50-43bb-9f0b-3722a5b2f9dc&file=87BFFB48-ABC9-4ECA-87AA-7BB997E96C93.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi @MikeHalloran, I’ve gone as far as adding blocking between the joists under the utility room and have added anti vibration pads under each of the dryer legs. I will try to add some weight to see if it reduces the noise in the other room. Thanks for the reply!

Vibrations only occurring inside your home? Have you tried measuring outside? On a cemented driveway, doorstep, sidewalks? No vibrations of basement floor, or walls?

Where's the nearest wind turbine?

Nice lawn BTW.

Reality used to affect the way we thought. Now we somehow believe that what we think affects reality.

Without proper measuring equipment, trial stiffening, etc. you won't solve things. Even renting an oscilloscope and a geophone (a cheap way) may be sufficient.

Also looking at one comment above, just becasue the wate ris flowing under gravity doesn't mean t is silent.

There are lots of things which cause noise in a pipeline system other than pumps, including tees, valves, restrictions amongst other items.

Do you have a plan of where any large pipes run near your house?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Blocking between joists does not seriously stiffen a floor; it only raises the load at which the joists buckle.

You can stiffen a joist by sistering it, say with plywood glued and screwed to each face.
You don't need to pierce the rim board to do this; you only need to sister the middle half of the joist.

Do the floors squeak or deflect noticeably when you walk on them? ... jump on them?

Mike Halloran
Corinth, NY, USA

Look up "used equipment" "Used oscilloscope". I see Google has many used for very low prices. Do the same for used geophones. Many are available. Check that they have proper connections.

Edit:be sure to get sufficient cable length so you can move about without moving the scope. Generally the geophones have to sit vertically so provision for supporting them vertically is necessary.

If you are desperate enough, maybe you can get a company specialized in sound engineering, which may collect, analyze the sound waves, and pin point the sources. Just my 2 cents though.

A general comment from OG. I don't consider advice or comments from anyone who doesn't post his background and experience information in the heading to back up his statements.

Edit:When looking to buy a used oscilloscope, there ought to be a simple way over the Internet and with cellphones to demonstration it works.
For instance I use Skype to talk to and see my friend in Sweden computers to computers.

@oldestguy. Thanks for the recommendation. Will be moving forward with purchasing used equipment or renting.

Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions, everyone.

If you are desperate enough, maybe you can get a company specialized in sound engineering, which may collect, analyze the sound waves, and pin point the sources. Just my 2 cents though.

An excellent suggestion. Usually sound guys can handle the problem whether the problem is a noise source or vibration transmission.

But start now in keeping as accurate a record as you can of times, dates, noise levels, pitch (if different). Data like this is invaluable in ruling things out as much as ruling them in.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

When I have been trouble shooting jobs like this, it is surprising how amplification of vibrations occurs. Trial stiffening such as a new column in the basement at mid span, etc can really make a difference. With the scope that searching will be easier.

Edit:Once you have the scope and the geophone, if you need help getting parts for cable connections, a Radio Shack store likely has fittings, etc. Another source for help is almost any amateur radio enthusiast. Get the local club member's officers names at ARRL.com (I think). Last resort drive around town and look for a monsterous antenna at a "ham" house for help.

@OG:Thanks again. Have reached out to local clubs. Also, going to test out the support post to see if I see any changes.

@Littleinch: Thank you for weighing in as well. I started logging this issue approximately 1 year ago. Haven’t been able to determine a pattern. Was traveling frequently until March of this year for obvious reasons, so I used to have a nice break from the rumbling when I was out of town.

@MikeH thanks for explaining that sistering a joist would help increase stiffness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back