Nominals for steel plates 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariolucas75

Civil/Environmental
Sep 21, 2010
GE
Dear forum,

Is there a chart / schedule like a pipe schedule for pipes (dia and wall thickness) for dimensions for the steel plates while manufacturing.

Another questions - normally general arrangement drawings for pressure vessels show nominal thickness i guess right?
However nominal thickness is thickness available from a vendor... and my design thickness (which is required thickness + Corr allowance) might be a little bit less right ? So i am looking for chart / weight / schedule for plates that pressure vessel are manufactured from like we have a pipe schedule for pipes with its manufacturer mill tolerances...

Thank you very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tolerances are in the plate specs. SA-20, SA-516, SA-240, etc. etc.

Plate thicknesses are generally available in 1/8" increments, up to, say 1 1/2" 1/4" over that. But not always. Check with your suppliers for avaiability.

mariolucas75 said:
... and my design thickness (which is required thickness + Corr allowance) might be a little bit less right ?

Well, you'd hope so :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Check with local fabricators or plate/material vendors. Some vendors will publish stock lists online.
Tell us what part of the world, and that will narrow it down some.
Very large quantities- check with a mill.

Here locally, for example- 0.1875", 0.25", 0.3125", 0.375", 0.4375" (sometimes), 0.5", 0.5625" (sometimes), 0.625", 0.75", etc. Widths- 72", 96", 120". Lengths 240", 360", 480". Materials SA 36, SA 516-70. Not every combination of length/width/thickness/grade is available, though, so it takes some checking.
I would expect a similar variety (but completely different details) elsewhere in the world.

A knowledgeable buyer in your org can be a big help also.

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

You need to continue to find the answer to several equally important, if not more important questions:
Yes, "What is my minimum calculated thickness, with the correct corrosion allowance and Safety Factor for your company and your application/industry, at the minimum commercial margin?
Yes, "What is available commercially that is greater then that minimum calculated thickness?"

But there are more things to consider:
- What is the maximum thickness, maximum length, maximum width that can be rolled at EACH DIFFERENT fabricator shop?
- What thicknesses need to be special ordered (weeks or months of delay possible in today's world!) and what are available for fabrication immediately?
- What is the cost and supply implication if the vessel is one-of-a-kind, or a routine series of the same pressure vessels (4 each month needed for the next 36 months), or many copies of the same PV but only one order one-time (200 PV's needed in 3 weeks)? That will affect how the material ordered from the mill.
- What is the maximum (and minimum!) weight and shape that can be handled at each shop? A 1/4 thick walled vessel 12 ft long by 16 feet dia will need more support structure and bracing before and after each lift than the rolled steel itself will weigh.
- How will each PV be assembled, how many separate plates will be needed and what are the weld/rivet QA certs needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back