Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non-bearing 35 foot tall partition wall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

structengineer

Structural
Jun 16, 2005
US
I have a interior non-loadbearing wall that is 35 feet tall x 50 feet long. The architect is asking what we can use to construct this wall. He would rather use wood, but wasn't sure if anyone has ever run into spanning wood 35 feet without going to some kind of engineering lumber, such as I-joist. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One clarification to the 35 foot tall wall partition is that this project is for a wood client and only wants to see wood used to construct the building. So I don't think that light gage framing would be a idea welcomed by the client.

The load on the interior partition is not necessarily 5 psf - could be 15 psf. How about large plywood sheets al la Sydney Opera House - maybe Glulam framing - hidden or exposed as ribs.

structengineer - You could use "built-up columns with mechanical fasteners" as described on page 204 in "Chapter 3 - Wood Columns" of "Wood Structural Design Data" (free .pdf download) at this link

The columns could be spaced as needed inside the partition, with horizontal framing between them. Using an appropriate number of 2 x10 laminations for each column should meet the NDS requirements for the slenderness ratio.

Many of the old wooden roller coasters at amusement parks used built-up columns that were very long.

[reading]

Any wall 35' tall is load bearing (okay, non-external loadbearing :)<)).

I agree with the I-Joist/LVL suggestions but for an additional reason. They are engineered products so have the suppler provide the engineering (delegated) and you review.

Before determining the loading: Is the structure designed as totally enclosed, if not then include the wind loading for the interior wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back