Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non corrosive high density cheap fluid 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulbarve

Structural
Aug 3, 2008
SG
hi
the purpose of the fluid is simply to add weight to a structure whenever required and to be pumped out whenever purpose is solved. this pumping in and out will be repeated something like once a day or sometimes once a month.
the quality that am looking for in the fluid is that it should have high density, should not corrode the steel structure and should be cheap.
will be great help if someone can suggest me a good choice for the above.
regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would talk to an oil-field drilling mud vendor. They make that stuff just about any weight required and really understand making the properties match your needs.

David

Maybe water (at least with a suitable chemistry, and/or effective inhibitor etc.)? Can fluid be re-used from one container to another (in that case maybe something likehydraulic fluid?)

rahool..

I vote for water with a corrosion inhibitor (perhaps ethylene/propylene glycol...???)

Is freezing an issue ?

How about toxicity and possible release to the environment ?

-MJC

What would you define as high density? or cheap?

What sort of quantities?

Are solids in the fluid a problem (e.g. mud as per above)- what about residue left in the structure?

Is it the same structure you're pumping into/out of each time?

Any hints on the structure/nature of the structure?

How much liquid are you talking?
A few gallons, or hundreds of gallons?
Is the fluid going to dampen the structure, is viscosity a factor?
Can the structure be modified to use sand? Plug on the bottom, hole in top?

Sludge / Mud used in oiling industry / platforms for drilling
They have special formulations where Baryum or Lead containing minerals are added, to increase specific gravity.

Mix some oilfield Barite with water to the density you require.Barite sp.gr circa 4.0. You will need a tank,agitator and a pump suitable for tranferring the sludge.
Alternatively use a grade of Transformer oil.

Offshore Engineering&Design

hi, thanks for all the responses.
in fact we needed a fluid which adds weight to the structure (spud) so that it penetrates into the soil, but this fluid should be removable so that the fluid doesnot add to the weight while the spud is being lifted. i guess water is the best solution after all, but keeping corrossion in mind i think we might use some recycled hydraulic oil. the qty required will be around 10 - 15 tons. hence was wondering if there was an equally cheap heavier alternative.
regds
rahul

Most jurisdictions will require secondary containment for oil spillage from a vessel or tank. I'm not certain what category your structure would fall under if it were full of oil but something to check.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back