Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non-destructive measurement of case depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_3

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2019
US
Has anyone had any success using ultrasonic (ASTM A1038) or Leeb hardness (ASTM A956) measurements for case hardened steel? Not just the hardness measurements, but we're looking for an indication of case depth.

Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And I stand by my statements. Investigate the problem and hypothesize. Anticipate needs. Samples being evaluated by a lab. Samples be sorted by apparent differences. Short and long term solutions developed. Hypothesis verified. Short and long term solutions implemented.
There are 6 or 7 steps to go through, and I'm currently on #3. It's Ok to hypothesize and anticipate. Pulling the trigger is one of the last steps.

Often during the problem-solving process you have to first take care of the customer. Contain all suspect parts and figure out a way to meet customer requirements. Then proceed to root cause and corrective action.

Containment should be the very first step. You do NOT want to knowingly send parts that do not meet minimum specification requirements out to your customer without their prior knowledge and consent. If you choose to do this and they discover that the parts are substandard, they will not have any reason to trust you down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back