Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-Involute Solid Modeling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfg11eng11guy

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2014
US
Does anybody know of any modeling software that uses a generative modeling approach to modeling non-involute shapes into gears?

Example, By trial and error, I would like to model a worm gear with some basic rack shape, and extrude-cut the generated profile out of the gear. This will be identical generative grinding process except I want to experiment with different rack forms and evaluate the generative profiles.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try these guys. Their software has been around for ages.
I don't think that their software uses a GUI, I think it opens up in DOS-like window.

CONFORMS takes the known tooth form of a gear, rack, or worm, and calculates the generated form of the mating gear, rack, or worm. Tooth forms may be helical, spur, involute or non-involute, external or internal. (Examples: gear teeth, including root generation and involute modifications; worms; splines; ratchets; sprockets; impeller rotors; hobs; shaper cutters; seaming & rolling dies)

Mating parts may mesh at parallel or crossed axes. The input form may be given in any cutting plane and the output form can be provided for any cutting plane. Form geometry for input and output is lines and arcs (if your geometry is supplied in terms of a math function or rectangular or polar coordinates, FITFORMS can convert it to line-arc geometry). Tooth form geometry may also be imported from a CAD system, created by our GEARPACK, INVFORMS, RAKFORMS, or FLUTES software, or calculated 'longhand'.

The output geometry is mathematically exact, not approximate. Output may be graphically displayed (including active mesh), transmitted to a CAD system, or used as input to other programs. You can use the output directly for wire EDM form cutting or other N-C operations. Output geometry can be in our own SES format, DXF format, HPGL format, or generic N-C format (G1, G2, G3 codes, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back