Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non Linear analysis of a Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaisonj

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2003
IN
I am relatively new to Ansys non linear analysis. Here I have a problem where I need help to model and solve in Ansys. There is a big ring with 4 m OD and 3.5 m ID with a thickness of 0.4 m. on this ring I want to create a permanent deformation of around 50 mm by compressing at diametrically opposite points. I tried defining non linear material but still could not produce any “equivalent plastic strain” with any load.

I am using Ansys Workbench 11. Can some one please help me to define a non linear material properly and do the appropriate analysis settings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the ring made out of? Depending on the material, you need to select an appropriate material mode. Also, does the material model NEED to be nonlinear?

What's non-linear about your material? Are you trying to model an elastic/plastic curve? Or just do a elastic/perfectly plastic analysis?

For steel, the simplest option would be to add Bilinear Isotropic Hardening to the material, insert the yield and a tangent.

Your question is a Mechanics of Materials problem and has an analytical solution which seems would be an easier route to take. Look in a good Applied Mechanics book which has a section on ring or disk theory. Should be straight forward so long as you know the constitutive relations for your material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back