Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NonMagnetic Replacement for 440C (Sy > 250ksi)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdornfeld

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2001
NL
I have an application where I need a nonmagnetic (or very low permeability) bar with a yield strength of at least 250ksi (but 275 would be better). The bar is 0.25 x 0.4 x 6 inches, and is currently 440C.
I've seen a few possibilities that have the strength and low permeability (PH15-7Mo) but haven't found anything available as thick as I need (or that I can get less than several tons of).
I would appreciate knowing some candidate materials and known sources. Tnx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on what magnetic permeability you require, precipitation hardenable stainless steels like PH 15-7Mo or Carpenter's Custom 465 may be suitable. Custom 465 can have a room temperature yield strength greater than 290 ksi in the strain hardened and aged condition. You can obtain more information using the following link:

Click on Technical Information then Alloy Name and enter Custom 465. You can obtain information on distributors by clicking on Our Locations.

Another option is MP35N, a nickel-chromium-cobalt-molybdenum alloy multiphase alloy that also has a yield strength greater than 290 ksi when strain hardened and aged. Carpenter offers this (type in MP35N in the Alloy Name box) as well as Timken Latrobe. You can obtain more information on this grade by using the following links:

TVP & TEV -
Thanks for your inputs. CarTech actually had five alloys that were >250ksi and Mu<25: BioDur 108, Custom Age 625 Plus, 18-18 Plus, MP35N, and 20Mo-6 HS. The first three were described by CarTech as &quot;rare&quot;. The MP35N (and, I think, the 20Mo-6 HS) were 500 lb min orders. So I moved on to looking for distributors.

The 465 didn't show up in the CarTech search - I am not sure that it is non-magnetic. I couldn't find it on MatWeb at all. I have been chasing the SPS corporation because they use MP35N in large bolts and other products, but I will also contact the Timken Latrobe people.

I also was looking at Elgiloy, but they have a ~100Lb min at $60/lb, but more important, I think that the biggest available is 1/2&quot; annealed bar which would barely be thick enough after cold working.

Thanks again for your leads.

WE STOCK THE MP35N UP TO 1-1/2&quot;DIA. ANYTHING LARGER YOU MAY HAVE TO HAVE MADE. IF WHAT YOU NEED IS IN MY SIZE RANGE GIVE ME A CALL (416-213-0000) MARK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back