Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nonuniform Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

akadet

Geotechnical
Jul 4, 2006
US
Hi
Does anyone know how to apply a nonuniform load (triangular loadings) on the surface.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Or for a simpler method, use ABAQUS/CAE V6.6 (which was released about 5 months ago). You can provide a Python expression as your "Analytical Field" and then use this as the spatial distribution for the load.

Hi
I looked in the documentation how to use DLOAD under subroutine option, but I still didn't quite understand how to write that subroutine. Can you help me to start with this DLOAD subroutine, for example, you have a square box 1 x 1 meter and nonuniform loadings will be applied on the right side of the box. Let the top be the reference surface starts at zero height and the bottom surface is 1 meter down. Thus at zero height the pressure will be 0, as the depth increases the pressure at 1 meter depth will be 18 kPa. So the pressure is function of depth.

Thank you very much

Presmably you don't have 6.6?

This is your model, with pressure varying from 0, at y=0, to 18 model units, at y=-1 model distance, on the RHS of the model. Let's say that is side 2 of the elements on that RHS.
Origin
o-------------- press= 0
| | <-
| | <--
| | <---
| | <----
y=-1 -------------- <----- press=18

So you need in your inp file

*DLOAD, OP=MOD
ELOAD , P2NU, 0.0

which according to the manual "applies a nonuniform pressure on face n with magnitude supplied via user subroutine DLOAD". Here 'ELOAD' is an element set of elements adjoining that RHS.
Here is your subroutine DLOAD:

SUBROUTINE DLOAD (F,KSTEP,KINC,TIME,NOEL,NPT,LAYER,KSPT,
1 COORDS,JLTYP,SNAME)
C
INCLUDE 'ABA_PARAM.INC'
C
DIMENSION TIME(2), COORDS (3)
CHARACTER*80 SNAME
Y = COORDS(2)
C Interpolate to find distributed load according to y:
F = -18*Y
RETURN
END

Hi mrgoldthorpe

I just got abaqus 6.6-3 yesterday, and I tired to use analysis field to create nonuniform load. In the analysis field, the math equation would be Y*-18 to have pressure varying with depth from 0 to -1, but how do you define your magnitude when you select the right side of the rectangle box and pressure and spatial field. How would abaqus know that is pressure = Y*-18 and how about the magniture just use 1.

akadet,

I'm not sure what you tried, but it should be pretty easy:
1. Create your analytical field (Field-1) and the expression should be Y*(-18.0)
2. Create a pressure load on the appropriate face with magnitude 1 and in the "distribution" pull-down select "Field-1"

The magnitude (=1)that you provide will by factored by the value of the expression at the given local value of Y.

(There is no need for user subroutines with this method)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back