Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Normal pump motor control for 12 VDC 25A forward reversing

Status
Not open for further replies.

balodev

Electrical
Apr 5, 2024
CA
I am having a terrible time finding anything that has certification for use in US or Canada to simply turn on a 12VDC 25A DC fuel pump motor that can do forward and reverse. A couple high current automotive SPDT relays with flyback diodes in an H-bridge configuration will work but automotive relays don't have the certifications. Everything else is either huge, very expensive, or doesn't have the form C contacts so I need 4 of them instead of 2, or is a DC motor starter but can't handle the 25A or is a DC motor starter that is way overkill for what I need with starting resistors etc.

None of my normal suppliers for AC motor controls have been helpful. I have called/emailed many companies already and looked at solid state relays. I feel like I am missing something very simple/fundamental as I'm not getting useful answers.

What is normal for this kind of application?

Is it really big bulky expensive contactors that are extremely different than the $30 or less automotive relays that I know the pump manufacturer recommends to the few of their normal clients who want to turn this pump on remotely? Can you point me to anything I can read about this or any company that makes simple 12VDC relays or contactors that are certified and can be put in an electrical panel that can do 25A? This exists right?

Thanks for our help. :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I may have missed your need.
I have the following information for your consideration.
There are numerous 12V dc operated coil, 1..4-pole 12Vdc 25A rated DC-1 utilization category contactors with CSA, UL certification; on the market. These are however bigger in size and more costly than the cube relays. I can not mention the brand here.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Share your concern with the local AHJ.
You may be able to get a special approval for the automotive relays.
Years ago I did a project where the customer brought in a lot of equipment that was not CSA certified.
I must have had 8 or 10 special approvals before we were finished.
That was a long time ago, when the Sahali Mall was built in Kamloops.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back