Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal vector from node

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esmond chan

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2020
DE
Hi everyone,

I'm currently struggling somehow with apdl post-processing to obtain stress of a node beneath a surface Hotspot. This node is lying on a normal vector from this Hotspot(currently with known ID and its coordinates).

Mathematically speaking, i will need a tangent surface to this Hotspot before getting its normal vector. How should I write it here since I only has node ID known?

I appreciate your help and suggestions very much here. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what code are you using ?
what elements ?
normal stress does not "normally" require the normal direction.

if you do want the normal, well, the node belongs to a surface element, and surfaces have easily defined normal (based on their surface equation.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I am writing snippets in ansys, planning to adapt it for batch analysis to export nodal value.

Elements type are generally tet and hex. The point of interest lies beneath a surface node from a known distance and tangent to this surface node.

I have tried with *get but unfortunately with x y z coordinates is insufficient, I need the node to be automatically orientated to the nodal tangent surface.

Do you know a way to do this?

try posting in the ANSYS forum.

I'd've thought that you could find which nodes are on the surface, and so get the equation of the surface. From there, normal through a point is "easy".

Hi,
I do have the coordinate and the node ID of the node on surface. How do I get the surface equation and the normal to acquire the node at a certain depth on this normal vector?

Regards

the surface is defined by some set of nodes.
It is "easy" (certainly 1st year uni math) to develop the equation of a plane from three points.
It is then also "easy" to find a normal vector, through a point,
and finally "easy" to find the co-ordinates of a point some distance along this vector.

Thank you for your reply. I understand that there is the math to create a plane equation and normal vector, but is there no function in apdl to do the job? And I do not have an even surface (non planar) I require a tangent surface to this point. Any suggestion?

refer to previous post .. post in ANSYS forum.

If you underlying geometry is surfaces, then these can be interrogated for tangent surface at a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back