Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norsok 650 auditors

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaty

Industrial
Mar 5, 2013
US
I am looking for an auditing body that certifies to the Norsok standards that resides in the USA.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me rephrase my question: Is there an auditing body in the USA that audits to the Norsok 650 requirements?

By 'auditing body' it is assumed that this refers to the "Qualifying Company" of NORSOK M-650. NORSOK does not stipulate any requirements for the Qualifying Company other than that they be independent of the manufacturer, and be 'recognised.'
One way of judging 'recognised' would be accreditation for ISO/IEC 17065.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Norsok M-650 is unusual in that it presents a framework to allow independent verification of a manufacturing process but doesn't mandate any specific qualification for the approver. Its being considered I believe for adoption or as a template for an iso and maybe this is one aspect that will change. Until then you can either take reassurance that someone probably from an oil major has witnessed the process route and put his/her name to it or you can ask to see the QTR and check them out. The onus is still on the end user to use products that are fit for purpose but most don't have the resources to audit every mill and forge master.

I guess what I'm getting at is most of the qtr,s that I have seen have been signed by the end user. If you are trying to get someone to sign yours then Steve's suggestion makes sense. Just make sure the auditors credentials stand up to scrutiny.

I'm working on a similar situation with NORSOK and what I've been told is that the actual material qualifications are witnessed by an individual who is representing the qualifying company (see the definitions in M650). The auditor may actually come in from Norway to do the audit. It is your customer who has the obligation to nominate you for qualification(everything proceeds up the food chain from that point)and be involved in arranging for audits or auditing. As far as qualification of NDE and Welding personnel and procedures is concerned, a European based Third Party Organization can perform that part of the work independent of NORSOK. Remember to look at the other NORSOK specifications relating to your part of the process, such as M630 R5 for materials requirements. Trying to co-ordinate the inter-relationships between NORSOK, EN specs, ISO 9000 and the PED isn't necessarily an easy task. Expect to spend a considerable amount of time and manpower on the program, getting it right isn't a snap of the fingers sort of thing. Hope this helps you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back