Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norsok M630 castings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovlvalves

Mechanical
Jul 24, 2003
GB
Can anyone help,
I am looking for a Norsok M630 qualified casting foundary for the supply of LCC / CF8M / 4A and 6A castings.

I have searched without success for over 2 weeks on the internet without finding anyone who is M630 qualified.

Forging manufacturers not a problem, castings can't find anyone.

Help would be really appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Steve & Goahead,

Thanks for the response. Customers within the Norwegian sector prefer to have material to Norsok requirements.
There are numerour specifications from the Norsok website as Goahead has stated and we have been working to those for about 6 years.

Norsok M630 covers the manufacturing qualification process for materials covered under Norsok material specification M650.

M650 covers a variety of materials from carbon steels to exotic alloys, in different manufacturing processes including casting, forging, bar, tube etc. It is a pretty good reference specification and is worth keeping a copy of.

You can manufacture material to M650 specification but not be M630 qualified. Most customers however and rightly so, insist that the source goes through the qualification process to verify they can manufacture material correctly.

The problem with Norsok is that there is no list available to identify who has gone through the qualification process to M630.
We have manufactured material to Norsok in forged ASTM A350LF2, ASTM A182 F316, ASTM A182 F51 & ASTM A182 F55 but a customer has requested we manufacture in Cast LCC (in leui of LF2) and cast 4A (in leui of F51).

Any other advise would be appeciated.

Ovlv,

I think you may have your standards mixed up. The qualification process is described in M-650 and it is only for high alloy materials 22Cr, 25Cr, 6Mo, and Ni alloys. There used to be a spreadsheet of qualified manufacturers at the link I posted above. Unfortunately, it appears to be no longer available (not surprising as it exposes the Norwegian standards body to some legal consequences); however, the last time it was there I downloaded and saved it. I can confirm to you that, at that time, The lowest alloy was 22Cr. Here are some casting manufacturers that were on the list at that time if it's any help to you:

Fondinox spa Italy
Faces spa Italy
William Cook Integrety (sic) UK

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your response on this matter. Completely agree with your comments. It was my understading also that M650 qualification is for CRA materials only.
I also remember also a list but yes, it has been removed off their site. The onous is now on the manufacturer of the equipment to assess the foundary etc or to use foundaries that have been pre-qualified. The pre-qual route is the preferred option.

We currently use suppliers such as BGH, ITALFOND, SCANA, and FORONI etc for forged CRA materials. These are qualified to manufacture either F51 or F55 in specific sizes.

We have the carbon steel and 316 covered also as this is not required under M650 but 4A / 6A is the problem.

Thanks for your support,
regards
Steve Williams
Group Quality Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back