Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Enough Memory error message using Elfini solver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruc

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2004
CA
I am using a 2 gig RAM,Intel Centrino 2Ghz, this should be enough to solve my analysis on V5 R14. Although I am always getting an error message after 1 hr of solving saying NOT ENOUGH MEMORY.
????
I cannot find any settings to do anything around this topic?
It is not harware related because I have done larger analysis with Ansys on smaller machines???

Does anyone have an idea about this?

Rene

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although they are similar, CATIA is not Ansys. You can't really compare system requirements cross-platform that way.

Check to make sure you have a reasonable sag, etc..

Have you been successful in other versions or only 5.14? I haven't done any stress analysis in 5.14, but I do know that it's supposedly a different kernel, so DSS may have screwed something up.

In any case, NOT ENOUGH MEMORY most certainly is a hardware-related issue. It may be hardware configuration. Check your pagefile.

What OS? XP is better with memory than 2000.

What is the exact error message??
The ones I get often are "No big enough contiguous memory for computation" and "Unable to allocate memory".

We have found out what the problem is,
Basically we had an assembly of welded parts, when iterating the pitch sizes, we ended up with areas with rigid connections pitches smaller than the part pitch, consequently some of the rigid elements where connected to the same quad or tetra element.therefore many rigid elements were connected together. Catia interprets this to be a large elements, the stiffness calculations increase ridiculously. the memory demand was too much. By simply for example putting all parts at pitch of 1 and connections at a pitch of 2, this problem did not occur. A previous analysis failing after 3 hours, now took 5-10 mins to successfully solve! After carefull research, this is apparently a common problem.

I have just done some testing on XP machines where I have set the 3Gb switch option. It has made it possible for me to open larger models with DMU. During this exercise I have also got involved with an anlysis of the same part. a typical size of part is roughly 130Mb

The switch details can be found on the program directory CD.

Also have you considered installing the Maths Kernel Library. I think you neen version 6 now. It can be found on the Intel website

When doing global adaptivity with five iterations for example, i gives me an error that says
Assertion failed:Assertion failed:error in fileG:\CXR14\CATSHOctreeMemoruManager.cpp at line 340

What does it mean??

From what I've seen on the IBM PLM Support Page
Assertion failed:Assertion failed:error in fileG:\CXR14\CATSHOctreeMemoruManager.cpp at line 340
is a program error that will require a fix from DS.

The /3GB Switch
By default, Windows can address a total of 4 gigabytes (GB) of virtual address space. By default, 2 GB of this is reserved for the kernel (operating system), and 2 GB is reserved for User mode programs such as CATIA.

When you put a /3GB switch into the Boot.ini file of the operating system, you reallocate the virtual address space distribution to give User mode programs 3 GB of space and limit the kernel to 1 GB.

You need to edit your Boot.ini file and "tweak" the CNEXT.exe.

To edit the boot.ini, open it up in notepad (or another text editor).

It resides in the root of your system drive (probably c:\boot.ini).

In the operating systems section, add /3GB after /fastdetect.

Tweaking CNEXT isn't as easy. I do it with editbin.exe, something that comes with Visual Studio. You have to append large memory awareness to all the .exe files within <Bxx>\intel_a\code\bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back